Engine stops running

Discussion of the Aerovee kit engine.

Engine stops running

Postby 752mr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:16 pm

When I make a hard right turn on the ramp the aerovee dies. Left turn is not a problem. The engine runs great except for the right turn issue.
752mr

Re: Engine stops running

Postby kmacht » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm

If it is doing it both on the primary and also the secondary ignition I would look for an induction leak somewhere. Sounds like something may be shifting when taking a hard right causing an intake leak and the engine to go lean and shut down.

Keith
kmacht

Postby SonexN76ET » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:55 am

Is your gascolator way over to the the side of your firewall? If so, that might be the reason. Mine would stumble but not quit when I had a gascolator mounted toward the side. I did away with the gascolator and have my fuel line running through a filter and then more or less straight to the AeroInjector. I don't have it stumble in a hard turn any longer.
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby floridasonex » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:45 pm

752mr wrote:When I make a hard right turn on the ramp the aerovee dies. Left turn is not a problem. The engine runs great except for the right turn issue.

I was having the exact same problem only when turning to the left. I theorized that the route of the
fuel line from the gascolator to the carb was the issue. I changed the route to more direct and used
a filter instead of the gascolator. Problem went away.

RT
Trigear Aerovee Sonex 1579
Flying since 4/1/13
floridasonex

Postby 752mr » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:54 pm

Many thanks to all. Looking from prop to tail at firewall, my gascolator is mounted on the right side of center line about six inches. This is a ONEX firewall and I'm sorry I didn't include that piece of information, but I think Jake and RT may have the answer. I placed the gascolator where I did because it appeared several other ONEX builders did the same thing. Can you tell me what type of filter you are using and how you have it installed?
752mr

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:29 pm

I tried two filters. One was an Earl's Performance Plumbing (a division of of Holly) 85 micron that had a filter screen. This one worked great. The only problem was it is too long for my setup and I worried about my braided flexible fuel line being too short and not having enough flex to absorb vibration. I will likely go back to this one after I make some minor firewall reconfiguration to accommodate the longer filter. The filter body itself is not so long, only about 2.6 inches, but it has two male 06AN ends on it and I needed to use a coupler to mount it to the bulkhead fuel fitting.

The next one I tried was a JEGS 40 micron filter that had a female 06AN end and a male 06AN end. This one fit my configuration perfectly. However, the fuel pressure dropped way low! I did not bother to check the fuel flow with this filter before I test flew it and my EGT and CHT temps went to the redline and my engine acted like it would only go to 3/4 power. I think this filter might be meant only for fuel injected engines or carbureted engines with fuel pumps. So be careful what filter you select.

From my experience it would seem the ones with the filter screen of 85 microns or so work best for gravity fed fuel systems in the Sonex.

After I took the JEGS 40 micron filter off, I took out and cleaned the fuel tank finger screen, made all new fuel lines, put in a new air filter, and flushed out my AeroInjector to make sure nothing else may have been restricting my fuel flow. It turns out the JEGS filter was too restrictive.

I am temporarily flying without a fuel filter until I can get my firewall properly configured to handle the Earl's 85 Micron Filter.
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby 752mr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:51 pm

Thanks very much for the information Jake. I found out this morning from Joe Norris at Sonex that several builders are using a Summit racing filter pn sum-230101 which is a 40 micron with an-6 male on both ends. I think I'm going to have trouble configuring my Onex firewall with a filter. I do think the earls filter with the higher micron reading would provide better fuel flow with our gravity systems. I guess I'll have to buy on and start my fuel system engineering over again.
752mr

Return to Aerovee