Wheel Bearing Race - not fully seated

A repository of lessons learned from builders with technical guidance and best practices. This is a project of the Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation.
Forum rules
Lessons-learned submissions follow a standardized format designed to identify the issue, draw out the relevant factors and present useful guidance to others facing a similar situation. The submitter answers the following 5 questions:

1) What went wrong (or right), and why?
2) What were the shortcomings, and why did they exist?
3) What actions were taken to fix the problem?
4) What preventive actions should be taken into account for future efforts?
5) What overall recommendations should be made for future projects?

The length of the write-up and amount of detail presented are left up to each individual. Some lessons learned can be perfectly conveyed in a few simple sentences, while others will require much more. The goal is to be as clear and succinct as possible, not to generate literary masterpieces!

All posts submitted to this forum are held in a review queue for approval by a moderator. Information in the posts will be reviewed, vetted, and modified as needed before going public. Additionally, any replies that are submitted would also be reviewed to ensure they add value and remain on topic. This will avoid normal threat drift of general discussions.

Wheel Bearing Race - not fully seated

Postby WilliamBatten » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:29 pm

After installing my wheel assemblies - I was spinning the wheels to get the appropriate drag from the tapered roller bearings. I noticed that my wheel was exhibiting a runout condition. I measured .085 inches at the wheel outer edge and .067 inches at the outer edge of the brake disc. My friend suggested that perhaps the bearing races had not been fully seated - causing this runout condition. So, I dis-assembled the wheels and took them to an arbor press. Sure enough, I was able to push each race in an additional .080 - .085 inches. After re-assembling the wheel/tire assemblies and installing them on the axles - all of the runout condition was gone.

This is an easy extra step to do before assembling the wheels. I purchased a few fender washers from Rural King (cost of 10 cents each) with an outside diameter of 1.75 inches. It was a perfect match to the bearing race diameter.
Attachments
Wheel Assembly runout.jpg
Wheel Assembly runout.jpg (93.38 KiB) Viewed 14737 times
Bill
N67WX - Reserved
Waiex-B Taildragger
Jabiru 3300
WilliamBatten

Return to Lessons Learned