SonexFlight Episode 33 - Building and Flying the Xenos

Discussion area for the Sonex Flight Podcast. Show announcements and post-show discussions.

SonexFlight Episode 33 - Building and Flying the Xenos

Postby sonex1374 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 pm

SonexFlight Episode 33 - “Building and Flying the Xenos Motorglider" is available for download!

The Xenos is Sonex Aircraft’s long-wing motor glider, a derivative of the basic Sonex design. It sports a 40 ft wingspan, longer fuselage with Y-tail, and a flapless-wing with ailerons and spoilers. The Xenos is designed as a touring motorglider, and has found a small but loyal following among Sonex pilots. Dave Dooley tells us all about his Xenos and how he enjoys flying the mountains of Colorado.

http://sonexflight.com/33

Jeff
Last edited by sonex1374 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: SonexFlight Episode 33 - “Building and Flying the Xenos"

Postby jowens » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Questions for dave:
-how much fuel does he typically fly with?
-what is his cg range location?
-how much different is the performance with a passenger on board?
Jim Owens
Dynon HDX1100, dual controls, Viking 110, taildragger
660 Hours, first flight 10-17-2018
jowens

Re: SonexFlight Episode 33 - “Building and Flying the Xenos"

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:38 pm

jowens wrote:Questions for dave:

I passed those questions along to Dave, and his comments are copied below.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for inviting me to your podcast. It was fun. Here are my answers.

I really don’t have a typical fuel load. It can vary from around 5 gal to full 16 gal. I have not noticed any effect on performance based on fuel aboard.

My CG flying solo ranges from 68.1” to 69.7” with an allowable range between 67.5” to 72.3” for the Xenos, so somewhat towards the forward range. I suspect I might get a little better L/D performance flying closer to the aft limit. I would have to add weight probably in the baggage area to move the CG back, but would pay some small penalty in climb with a heavier airplane. I don’t think it’s worth the trouble, actually.

I have not done any quantitative performance testing with and without a passenger. I have quite a few soaring flights with a passenger and have not noticed any obvious degradation of climbing performance with a passenger. Of course, the L/D would not be affected. One just flies a little faster when heavier.

One thing that would probably help more than anything (other than a featherable prop) would be gear leg fairing to fuselage and wheel pants fairings. One of these days. But right now I’m having too much fun flying it.

Hope these answers are helpful. Sorry I don’t have any solid performance data to offer.

Dave

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Return to SonexFlight Podcast