Countersink

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Xenos.

Countersink

Postby Kerrjohna » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:59 am

It appears that many of the rivet holes at the root end of the wings are to be countersunk into the spar caps; a few of those are immediately adjacent to the flanges of the spar caps. What suggestions are there to make those countersink holes. I have quickset countersink tools for precise control of the depth but there is not room for even the small diameter tool.

John Kerr
Xenos B026
Kerrjohna

Re: Countersink

Postby racaldwell » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:43 pm

John,

Are you talking about the webs of the spar in the way of the microstop countersink? The holes in the spar caps only get countersunk for the skins so that is on the outside (top & bottom) of the spar. I just can't picture any flanges in the way of coutersinking the spars.

Now deburring the holes next to the spar web is a PITA. I used a tiny jeweler's file since I don't have an expensive blind hole deburring tool.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 67 hrs.
racaldwell

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:38 am

Since I am finishing up my wing now, I just went a took a look. Yeah, there are countersinks on the (upper) spar cap for flush rivets that are close enough to the cap such that my microstop will not fit. I'll need to go back and check my notes, but I assume that I either freehanded the countersink with the cutter or more likely jigged up the spar cap for countersinking with a drill press - sans the microstop mechanism.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby wlarson861 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:55 am

I found a used micro stop countersink tool that had been modified. One side of the cage was ground away allowing the tool to be pushed up close. It is a little less stable so I don't use it unless the full cage model wont fit.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:30 am

I have a modified countersink like Bill. You can also get or make an adapter for the bit and do it by hand, or on a drill press. Just go slow and be careful on the depth.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Kerrjohna » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:14 pm

Thanks for the input. Will continue to explore options.
Kerrjohna

Return to Xenos-B