SKIN DEFORMATION - Design defect in stabilator rib noses

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Xenos.

SKIN DEFORMATION - Design defect in stabilator rib noses

Postby taildragger » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:05 am

Warning: Serious skin wrinkle potential!
There is a design defect in both stabilator rib noses, which causes interference and deformation in the outer skin leading edge. Right and Left stabilators had the same issue:
- Too long.
Had to trim and shape nose rib to allow smooth mating of rib to skin using Dremel tool
- Mis-shaped
Rib vertical aluminum juts into skin, causing a serious wrinkle
I trimmed and rounded the aluminum around rivet contact area.
This allowed the nose rib to flex and/or smoothly contact the skin, eliminating skin deformation.
- Mis-shaped Skin
The forming tool needs an update.
This issue could be resolved by increasing the diameter of the leading edge of the skin.
The photo shows the skin curve diameter could be increased.

This problem occurs only after the skin is pulled tight against both top and bottom of the frame.

Several trim iterations were required. Photo shows shape after 1st iteration. A 2nd and 3rd iteration was required on the outer nose rib because about 1/4 inch needed to be removed in some areas.
See: https://eaabuilderslog.org/showmy.php?p=7pS0BwoB0&z3=&i=12823659&l=153509&t=f&f=DEFORM.jpg
Building electric Xenos
President, EAA Chapter 1250
taildragger

Re: SKIN DEFORMATION - Design defect in stabilator rib noses

Postby Mike53 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:38 am

Had similar situation on my Onex. Think off the Lincoln town car compared to the Pinto. (hope your old enough to remember ,if not substitute your own high- end low -end vehicle)
We bought above the pinto but way below the Town car.It won't be the only discrepancy you will run into. It was my favorite part about building the Onex . Solving issues related to buying a Onex instead of a Lancair.
Cheers,
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Return to Xenos-B