Xenos Engine Options

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Xenos.

Xenos Engine Options

Postby rmtrudeau » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Good evening....first post!

I am strongly considering a Xenos build as I have always wanted to homebuild an aircraft.

I am a fixed wing ATP/CFI who just got the gliding bug. My thinking is that this could be a great “best of both worlds” airplane.

Mission would be probably 60/40 Gliding to <200nm Cross Countries. Would love to make some longer trips to explore wave soaring and of course Oshkosh.

Some concerns I have mainly involve the power plant options. After much reading on the forum, I can’t say I am super thrilled about the Aerovee. I have heard of some Jabiru installations, but do not really know how many there are and if the weight penalty is worth it. Was also wondering if anyone has done a Corvair installation on a Xenos?

Has shock cooling been a concern with one engine option more than another? How about restarts?

Thanks! Looking forward to making some big decisions in the coming months.

Ryan Trudeau
Forney, TX
rmtrudeau

Re: Xenos Engine Options

Postby racaldwell » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:00 am

Hi Ryan,

I am not finished building my Xenos yet so I cannot speak about flying it. My philosophy on my build is minimum weight with maximum horsepower. My engine is a CAMit 3300 that was dyno'ed at 127 hp. I am doing what I can to save weight, i.e. I made molds of the utility wingtips and made my own S-glass/foam vinyl ester wingtips that saved 15 lbs. On most nonstructural 1/8" brackets I am cutting lightening holes in them. I have the fat wire from Pheriheliondesign for the big electrical runs, Earthx batteries for main and soaring batteries, only alodining the interior aluminum for corrosion protection so no primer on the interior except cockpit area. I live next to the ocean so I have to protect exposed aluminum. I am using lighter wheelpants and making carbon/epoxy fairings where I can.

I am going to build a cowl flap so I can close it on engine shutdown to reduce the airflow over the engine for shock cooling avoidance and help reduce cooling drag. I have a fiberglass spinner that I will try to fit so I hope to avoid the aluminum beanie cap. I have the Flyboys full swivel tailwheel w/ 4" machined wheel and hydraulic differential brakes. I hope that saved a few lbs. I am not sure if I will change the cowl to S-glass/foam sandwich or use the std. cowl. So you can see there are ways to save weight and, in my opinion, improve upon some aspects of the design.

A Xenos builder/flyer told me his areovee xenos was a minimal performer with two people aboard when flying out of his grass strip. His comment convinced me 80 hp was not enough. 90% of my flying experiences have been in my RV-6 with CS prop and my 200 hp One Design so I rate the climb rate in those aircraft as my standard. I think with the long wings on the Xenos that is built light with the most power it can take, along with my 140 lbs, I'll be right in there. Time will tell.

Good luck on your decision.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby bvolcko38 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:05 pm

I've got about 1 flights on my Xenos, then the snow came. Engine still working out bugs but performing well now. I was getting about 600 fpm climb rate wit me 200lbs and full fuel on a normal day
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby rmtrudeau » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Great information guys. Thanks for the input. Long long way away from those decisions, but I think trying to build as light as possible is a great route to go down.
rmtrudeau

Return to Xenos-B