Does the Xenos Soar Well, Two-Up?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Xenos.

Does the Xenos Soar Well, Two-Up?

Postby HappyWarrior » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:22 pm

250+ hour glider pilot here. My first post - hello!

Also have a PPL and it's time to build something. I can't give up the soaring bug, so feel the Xenos is a good fit.

Is it a true soaring machine, in the right conditions, with two on board? I see 24:1 noted, which is certainly comparable to some of the older Schweizers out there.

I'd love a machine I can do some small XC trips on, but also load my father into and have some real soaring fun.
HappyWarrior

Re: Does the Xenos Soar Well, Two-Up?

Postby XenosPilot » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:48 am

Good question. That's exactly what I use mine for. I am a glider pilot only, so I can't say much in comparison to other airplanes, but I LOVE my Xenos. I mostly treat it like a sailplane, only running the engine to launch, then go soaring. A month ago, I took my daughter with me and flew to a fly-in breakfast about 30 miles away. I once flew it around 100 miles to another soaring site, treating it simply as an airplane. I don't know if it is "really" a 24:1 glide ratio, and I was not able to nail that down when doing the flight testing. Other than the Xenos, I have flown mostly Schweizer gliders (1-26 & 2-33), and it is certainly comparable to them. It doesn't thermal as well as they do, due to the higher sink rate and higher speed for min sink. That being said, I think it outperforms them on straight glides due to the higher speed. All in all, I think it is a fair compromise, and someone who is okay with 1-26 performance will probably like the Xenos. I really like the fact that I have a self-launching glider as well as a light airplane. It cruises at around 105 mph indicated, burning around 4 gph of fuel...not bad.
Stephen Layton
Xenos, Aerovee, Aeroinjector, 100LL, MGL Enigma panel
Prefer motorless flying...soaring!
Hobbs, NM
XenosPilot

Re: Does the Xenos Soar Well, Two-Up?

Postby martinwalker1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:34 am

350+ hours in gliders, CFI, CFII, MEI, CFI-Glider. I own a Xenos N922PL. Have lots of time in different gliders and think that anyone who builds or buys on of these aircraft can not possibly be disappointed. I also own a Maule MT7-235 (for sale because I have cancer so my second class medical is toast.)

It flies (my opinion) just like a 2-33 or a 1-26. It would be difficult to see much difference. I soar at 55 MPH and it thermals just like a 2-33. I don't fly anything anymore without a rated pilot in the other seat but can usually find someone to go along. I base at 7VG0. This is one of the more difficult airports I've instructed at. Uphill/downhill runway, dirt, rough/rocky and short with fences/obstructions at each end. The Xenos performs perfectly. Takeoff at gross weight (my student weighs 240) is around 800'. Landings crossing the fence at 55 MPH is around 800 (no brakes).

I love this machine. Selling the airplane but my wife is going to have to sell this when I'm gone. I think it'll be easy.

Martin Walker
martinwalker1

Return to Xenos-B