One week wonder update?

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Re: One week wonder update?

Postby gcm52 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:51 am

I am perplexed hearing about these cooling issues. I installed a Rotax 912UL in a Zenith 701 using the factory FWF kit and flew that airplane for three years with perfect temperatures all year round. The engine ran perfectly from the first start up, never an issue. Based on that happy experience with the Rotax I installed a 912 ULS in my Onex. This time the FWF was a custom job done by me, although the cowling was closer to the Zenith design rather than the Sonex design. That is I didn't try to replicate the Sonex look to the cowling. Once again I had perfect temperatures from the first start up. Never a cooling issue of any kind. The airplane had tremendous climb performance, was fast and was a delight to fly. I think that the Rotax 100hp on a Sonex airframe is a fantastic combination.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:27 pm

I've never had any cooling issues in my 912 Onex either. I used a chin scoop for the radiator, with oil cooler sealed to the back of the radiator. Zero cooling problems. I think the main issue is the fact that everyone wants to come up with some sort of "pretty" NACA duct, low drag solution which often ends up being more of a problem than a solution.

I'm sure I have some excess cooling drag, but it's not a racing plane. Heck, I even left the wheel pants off because they just don't make much difference. I had to widen the stock pants to fit my 500x5 tires, and they were never very effective. Some day I might add some of Van's pressure recovery pants, but probably not. I see 140 mph cruise at 5300 RPM, and almost 1200 fpm climb to 4000 ft. I can't really wish for more.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby gcm52 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:39 pm

Hang the proper radiator out in the wind, I do believe that is the secret.
Attachments
AD5.jpg
AD5.jpg (79.19 KiB) Viewed 740 times
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby Kai » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:49 pm

Agreed- I can´t understand their cooling issues either. I went with a split radiator setup controlled by two 80C full flow thermostats. Cooling air inlets per standard Sonex dimensions- outlets by chutes in the bottom of the cowling and gills in the sides. No issues whatso ever, and temperatures stay pegged at set values. The cowling might be looking a little squarish, not at all so elegant as Casy´s, but it gets the job done.
Attachments
IMG_8862.jpeg
IMG_9390.jpeg
Kai

Previous

Return to Rotax