Aeroovee to Rotax mount conversion???

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Re: Aeroovee to Rotax mount conversion???

Postby Prince » Tue May 30, 2023 4:29 am

Looks very sharp. Nice job.
Prince

Postby xeriotti » Tue May 30, 2023 10:24 pm

Thanks!!! Its getting lots of attention lately XD
Graphics aint here yet.... But today it was looking amazing :)

xeriotti

Postby 13brv3 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:44 am

No one is going to be able to read the graphics, because the plane is going 100 MPH just sitting still :-)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed May 31, 2023 8:26 pm

Veeeery sexy BUT would like to see some photos of your cowling the exit air system.
Skippydiesel

Postby xeriotti » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:44 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:Veeeery sexy BUT would like to see some photos of your cowling the exit air system.

Sorry about the noisy quality.... Just noticed!!! Not pretty photops but i think the depict how air gets in and out pretty well :) If theres any questions, please let me know

xeriotti

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:44 pm

Thanks Xeriotto. Your photos are a great help to me/my Sonex.

Have you ever had overheating issues with your coolant? cylinder heads ? oil ?

Are you using Rotax Radiator & Oil Cooler?

What size is your Radiator? Oil Cooler?
Skippydiesel

Postby xeriotti » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:49 am

Skippydiesel wrote:Thanks Xeriotto. Your photos are a great help to me/my Sonex.

Have you ever had overheating issues with your coolant? cylinder heads ? oil ?

Are you using Rotax Radiator & Oil Cooler?

What size is your Radiator? Oil Cooler?

Ive been flying the plane...it has 5 houts on it already, pattern work mostly... Right now im figuring out how to make it work. My normal WATER temperature in straight level flight is around 70C...80C in climb.... if you descent,, for example in base to final cools down quickly to 65, maybe even 60 if you dive long enough backing off all the throttle... When i land and taxi to the hangar ( no more than 500 meters taxi, my temperature is 90C...

Ive been playing with the size of the inlets.... My water radiator was custom made by Pehuen Radiators in Argentina, they make competition radiators its all aluminum 63mm core... Total size is 450x190. Its hermetically ducted at the front and air comes in from the huge vent on the pilots side...

My oil radiator is around 150 by 250mm in front area, receives hermetically ducted air from the outside vent thats placed o nthe copilots side...

I have 2 naca vents on top of the cowling to blow some cool air in thats redirected down right after it enters. and 2 front openings that blow air to the cylinders they look big but i had to reduce their size i norder to "deflate" the cowling and balance my inlet-outlet ratio to make air go thru the water radiator on the side...

Sometimes less is more.

Ill let you know when i have it completely dialed (its winter over here, works perfect but when you look outside and its 42C its a different story..)

I have room to install an electric fan.... but will leave that as a last resort.
xeriotti

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:58 pm

It sounds like you have too much cooling - I wish that I had the same problem.

Overcooling can usually be helped by reducing either inlet/outlet air flow or using smaller coolers (test by taping of part of the cooler).

Some pilots prefer to use coolant/oil thermostats but for me this would be the last resort, as there is significant additional weight and considerable additional complexity (many more joins to fail)
Skippydiesel

Postby roberto51it » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:25 am

Skippydiesel wrote:It sounds like you have too much cooling - I wish that I had the same problem.

Overcooling can usually be helped by reducing either inlet/outlet air flow or using smaller coolers (test by taping of part of the cooler).

Some pilots prefer to use coolant/oil thermostats but for me this would be the last resort, as there is significant additional weight and considerable additional complexity (many more joins to fail)

In my Rotax powered RANS S7 I have installed an oil and a water thermostat that are made in Germany, and are installed directly over the oil pump and the water pump (in the oil pump it replaces the pump cover, and the same happens in the water pump) you only need to put one extra oil hose and one extra water hose…simple, effective and almost no weight (machined in aluminum from solid)
Roberto Grassi -Italy
Building kit #1433
roberto51it

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:54 pm

Roberto51lit - Thermostat conversions sound very interesting - please give supplier/manufacturer details
Skippydiesel

PreviousNext

Return to Rotax