Aeroovee to Rotax mount conversion???

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Re: Aeroovee to Rotax mount conversion???

Postby bishoff7 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:42 am

Really nice work Jake
bishoff7

Postby xeriotti » Tue May 23, 2023 2:33 am

Sorry guys... been lost a couple months :) Everythings happening OK with the Waiex... Finished the hood and after a couple rides along the runway to feel how it handles on the ground applied full power and basically flew like a dream :)
First flight was awesome! Full power...That exhaust sounds amazing! Held it down until airspeed was alive... 40-50-60mph and wheels stopped touching the ground by themselves...No aileron roll tendency, adjusted the trim a couple turns and was climbing really steep to maintain 80mph with first notch of flaps on... removed them and airspeed increased inmediately... gained 1000ft and started a shallow turn to the left.... on my downwind leg i played a bit with the controls and fell in love with the handling of the plane, does everything right apparently XD.... landed full flaps 60-65mph on final... Really predictable energy management and handling at slow speeds. I really liked it.

After that first flight it flew 4.5hours... Hood suffered some changes going after thermodinamic perfection... Once I was happy with the temperatured took it apart to make it look pretty, its all sanded, primed and ready for painting...

I will keep you guys updated on that Rotax 912ULS performance once i try it with wheelpants and leg fairings on :)
xeriotti

Postby 13brv3 » Tue May 23, 2023 7:55 am

Congrats! Looks great.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 23, 2023 10:14 am

Awesome! Congratulations!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Murray Parr » Tue May 23, 2023 4:53 pm

Congratulations, Beautiful looking plane :-)

Wondering if all your cooling systems work well?
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby xeriotti » Wed May 24, 2023 5:07 am

Murray Parr wrote:Congratulations, Beautiful looking plane :-)

Murray!!! It took me a while to get it dialed... I swapped my water radiator for a bigger, thicker and fancier one.... But the big improvments were achieved when i started playing with the intakes and outlet sizes... When i started i couldnt even run for 10 minutes on the ground without going over water temperature parameters... It took me almos 4 hours of changing things and flying to achieve perfection. now im running with OK temperatures indefinitely no matter my power setting and flying attitude... NACA inlets directly and hermetically ducted into water and oil radiators.... rear of the radiators are next to low pressure area from the cowl flaps. frontal intakes hit directly into front cylinders, top intakes deflect and hit rear cylinders and sweep hot air from air filters (ideally XD) Works great...
xeriotti

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu May 25, 2023 10:42 pm

xeriotti wrote:

Murray!!! It took me a while to get it dialed... I swapped my water radiator for a bigger, thicker and fancier one.... But the big improvments were achieved when i started playing with the intakes and outlet sizes... When i started i couldnt even run for 10 minutes on the ground without going over water temperature parameters... It took me almos 4 hours of changing things and flying to achieve perfection. now im running with OK temperatures indefinitely no matter my power setting and flying attitude... NACA inlets directly and hermetically ducted into water and oil radiators.... rear of the radiators are next to low pressure area from the cowl flaps. frontal intakes hit directly into front cylinders, top intakes deflect and hit rear cylinders and sweep hot air from air filters (ideally XD) Works great...

Hi Xeriotti,

My Rotax HD radiator (coolant) temperatures are spot on 95C in the air - still have issues on the ground with temperatures always over 105C, as high as 120C on occasion.

My cooling problem is the oil temperature - best I can do in the air is 104C, when OAT is below 11C and I focus on keeping a very strict straight & level and MAP/RPM exactly by the book. I have the Large Oil Cooler but it just doeskin seem to do the job, when I put my CS prop in Cruise mode.

I am interested in the Extra Large Oil Cooler, now offered by Rotax - it may just be what I need to get my cruise temperatures between 90-100C

I am about to return my Sonex to my home workshop to do do several modifications - the main one being the cooling system lay out at this stage Radiator is moving from low on firewall, to front of engine and Oil cooler, from front of engine, to just in front of where the Radiator is now.
Skippydiesel

Postby xeriotti » Sat May 27, 2023 9:34 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:
xeriotti wrote:

Hi Xeriotti,

My Rotax HD radiator (coolant) temperatures are spot on 95C in the air - still have issues on the ground with temperatures always over 105C, as high as 120C on occasion.

My cooling problem is the oil temperature - best I can do in the air is 104C, when OAT is below 11C and I focus on keeping a very strict straight & level and MAP/RPM exactly by the book. I have the Large Oil Cooler but it just doeskin seem to do the job, when I put my CS prop in Cruise mode.

I am interested in the Extra Large Oil Cooler, now offered by Rotax - it may just be what I need to get my cruise temperatures between 90-100C

I am about to return my Sonex to my home workshop to do do several modifications - the main one being the cooling system lay out at this stage Radiator is moving from low on firewall, to front of engine and Oil cooler, from front of engine, to just in front of where the Radiator is now.

Skippy!!! a CS prop on a Rotax 912 powered Sonex sounds yo me like the way to go!!! What numbers are you seeing? Takeoff Roll, Best Climb? Cruise at what RPM and fuel consumptions????
xeriotti

Postby xeriotti » Sat May 27, 2023 9:37 pm

It was really dark when i finished...but i had to take some pictures to show you guys :)

xeriotti

Postby xeriotti » Tue May 30, 2023 1:45 am

Not sure about graphics or not yet, i like it plain red.... But I will save my time with some stickers to avoid people asking what engines under the hood XD

xeriotti

PreviousNext

Return to Rotax