Aeroovee to Rotax mount conversion???

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Re: Aeroovee to Rotax mount conversion???

Postby xeriotti » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:34 pm

Jeep Cabin dampers arrived :)

They aborb vibrations between the cabin and the chasis of this Argentinan made marbles... IKA Jeep , IKA Gladiator, Ika Baquueano, IKA estanciera.... No too often, but you can still see people drive this things on the streets over here...

Last edited by xeriotti on Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xeriotti

Postby xeriotti » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:21 am

Now its lathe timeeeee :)

xeriotti

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:02 am

It will be interesting to see how those work out. I used Lycoming size Conical mounts for mine, and it's a bit stiff. It would have been nice to use the ones Rotax sells for the ring, but their insanely expensive like most Rotax parts.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby xeriotti » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:19 pm

I have 4 of these....un-contained (i mean they seat pretty loose over flat washers)....on top a Rotax 503 with bed mount.... And... Its stiff, but propper movement is allowed. I suppose that this same rubber components with the container and under some preload will do OK for the 912. Trial and error. 40X cheaper than a set of Rotax rubber mounts. (and i can find them in almost any car spare shop in Argentina)

I bought this set online... PRICE? 9 US Dollars...including shipping XD
xeriotti

Postby xeriotti » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:30 am

Well... Today was a happy day! My dad wants to see that waiex airborne so bad!! he came with me to pick up the 912... We vesited some friends along the way...

It might sound dumb, but im really happy to have this chunk of metal here... It took a lot of effort, but its here!

Already turn the rubbermount supports... I have some work to do in other aircraft, before i start to work full time on my Waiex, it will be post and picture heavy if you guys dont bother :)

xeriotti

Postby xeriotti » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:00 am

Moved the waiex from my warehouse to my workshop... Almost have to take down the tail XD

Leveled it out to start measuring here and there

Rigged a high tech engine temporary mount to figure things out
xeriotti

Postby xeriotti » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:22 am

I have my "kindaringmount" figured out... Made it out of cardboard, then cleaned those traces to make it aestethically harmonic... And transcribed it to DXF format so i can lasercutit....

Ive seen someone making an adapter from a solid piece os 12mm steel.... But i dont know...i calculated it to be around 3 kilograms for the plate only... Ill try to make something lighter without compromising strenght... (sounds easy XD)
xeriotti

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:37 am

Looks pretty interesting so far. I wonder if you could that from multiple layers. Maybe something like 1/8" steel on the front and back, with 1/2" aluminum sandwiched in the middle.
Rusty
13brv3

Postby xeriotti » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:45 pm

13brv3 wrote:Looks pretty interesting so far. I wonder if you could that from multiple layers. Maybe something like 1/8" steel on the front and back, with 1/2" aluminum sandwiched in the middle.

I already have a steel lasercuted version to see if everything fits....

My idea es to use 2 plates "flat" and welding them together on the perimeter to form a "box" In this image the rubbermount housings arent displaye but they would also take part on that structure, everything tigwelded together.

Material and thickness of the plates to be calculated yet.... But it looks really good and its easier for my with my tools than bending and notching steel tube....

Anyone knows how thick is a Rotax Ring Mount? or have data on the weight? Rotax 912 is light so i have no worries about adding a bit of extra weight on this, but i dont like railroad track like parts on airplanes XD
xeriotti

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:21 pm

I don't have any notes about the dimensions or weight of the ring mount. I can measure the diameter Monday if you still need it by then. I remember that it seemed heavy, but I couldn't make an accurate guess of the weight. The installation manual for the Rotax does have some useful dimensions for the attachment points.
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

PreviousNext

Return to Rotax