ACV-P54-Kit Rotax Engine Mount Attach Kit

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Re: ACV-P54-Kit Rotax Engine Mount Attach Kit

Postby Skippydiesel » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:22 am

Hi Zack,

Thanks or the referral to pshwen: Yep! similar observations. Still cant understand why Sonex dont supply bushes or even an undrilled (AN4) lower bracket, to Legacy (A) builders, its not rocket science.

As for reaming/enlarging as per Sonex recommendation - not if I think there is a better/more structurally sound way to go.

I am well down the path of implementing my preferred solution.

Plugs are in the freezer - Brackets are in the oven, set to 145C.

In about 60 minutes will attempt to introduce plugs to brackets (without getting burnt) - wish me luck!
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:50 pm

Well the oven / freezer technique did not work.

Could be that the freezer is just not cold enough or more likely the small plug gets heated through almost instantly, by the hot brackets (much larger mass).

After some small dimension adjustments to plug we pressed the plugs into the brackets. Followed by a temporary installation to mark the hole position.

We elected to use a nice fresh 1/4" drill bit , pushed through the engine frame bolt holes by hand, as the scribe.

Short up/down movements marked a small ark on the plug.

Removed brackets, careful measurement of vertical position of non modified hole, transferred to plug gave us the "pin pint" position for drilling the new mounting points. Drilled the 1/4" holes.

Brackets re installed , now a nice close fit.
Skippydiesel

Postby Zack » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:11 pm

The reason the technique did not work is because both parts are aluminum. Aluminum is highly conductive and the temperature difference will disappear very quickly as the heat is conducted to the cold part. Press fitting aluminum to aluminum is rarely done due to galling that occur between to two parts. I'm glad you were successful.
Zack

Previous

Return to Rotax