Prop model and length options?

Rotax 912 series discussion.

Prop model and length options?

Postby mcjon77 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:17 am

Hi guys,

For the Rotax builders and flyers, what propeller length (and model) are you using/planning to use? Also, is anyone planning on lengthening the landing gear an inch or so? I have been considering a 3 blade 64" Warp drive. Truth be told, I am about 2 years away from having to make the decision, though.
Jon
Back To Building (after long hiatus) Sonex #1287
mcjon77

Re: Prop model and length options?

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 am

Anyone who is considering using a Rotax in a legacy Sonex please contact Sonex and request they develop and sell an engine mount for the Rotax. I plan on someday swapping my Aerovee for a Rotax (when I can afford it). I think that if enough of us request a Rotax mount the factory may produce one.
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Brett » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:12 am

I'd buy one tommorow if they did.....
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby garyb » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:34 pm

I am still building my Sonex Rotax its at the 90% stage now. I have increased the ground clearance by about 3.5" more than standard and I am using a 68" prop 64" would be okay with standard clearance.
Regards Gary.
Sonex #1531 Rotax 912ULS. 250 hours and counting.
garyb

Postby Brett » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Gary,,, will really look forward to seeing your performance figures with that prop and engine combo.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby gammaxy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 pm

Sonex told me a about a year ago that 60" diameter is their limit. Measuring from the plans, that looks to give about 9" of clearance without any deflection of the gear. Does anyone currently sell 60" propellers for the Rotax on a Sonex?

I played around with JavaProp to design optimal propellers for the ~2300rpm Rotax and estimated you get ~8% more thrust at Vy when you step up from 60" to 68". The differences in cruise is much smaller, so I imagine you could be happy with the smaller diameter.

Gary's longer landing gear seems like a good idea to me, something I'd strongly consider for larger propellers.

14 cfr 23.925 says:
(a) Ground clearance. There must be a clearance of at least seven inches (for each airplane with nose wheel landing gear) or nine inches (for each airplane with tail wheel landing gear) between each propeller and the ground with the landing gear statically deflected and in the level, normal takeoff, or taxing attitude, whichever is most critical. In addition, for each airplane with conventional landing gear struts using fluid or mechanical means for absorbing landing shocks, there must be positive clearance between the propeller and the ground in the level takeoff attitude with the critical tire completely deflated and the corresponding landing gear strut bottomed. Positive clearance for airplanes using leaf spring struts is shown with a deflection correspondingto 1.5g.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:52 am

Hi all,
Who was posting a year ago about using a custom ring mount to convert from an aerovee mount to a rotax mount? Is that you gary?
Thanks chris for always good info posts.
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby mcjon77 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:25 am

SonexN76ET wrote:Anyone who is considering using a Rotax in a legacy Sonex please contact Sonex and request they develop and sell an engine mount for the Rotax. I plan on someday swapping my Aerovee for a Rotax (when I can afford it). I think that if enough of us request a Rotax mount the factory may produce one.

The engine mount issue was one of my biggest concerns. When they came out with the B model conversion kit and I looked at the features (including a rotax engine mount option) I have decided to go that route. I will probably order the b conversion kit next year.
Jon
Back To Building (after long hiatus) Sonex #1287
mcjon77

Postby Concorde » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:57 am

SonexN76ET wrote:Anyone who is considering using a Rotax in a legacy Sonex please contact Sonex and request they develop and sell an engine mount for the Rotax. I plan on someday swapping my Aerovee for a Rotax (when I can afford it). I think that if enough of us request a Rotax mount the factory may produce one.

We have tried that for many years with no luck ....
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby garyb » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:56 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:Hi all,
Who was posting a year ago about using a custom ring mount to convert from an aerovee mount to a rotax mount? Is that you gary?
Thanks chris for always good info posts.
WaiexN143NM
Michael

Check this post out
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=579
bishoff7 was making an adaptor from Aerovee mount to Rotax
Cheers
Sonex #1531 Rotax 912ULS. 250 hours and counting.
garyb

Next

Return to Rotax