Aerovee voltage regulator mounting - inside?

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Aerovee voltage regulator mounting - inside?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:24 pm

I think I've just lost my first VR. I'll confirm when the new one arrives and I swap it in. The thought occurred to me that I could mount it inside the cabin, and out of the hot engine environment. Has anyone done this? What do you think?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Aerovee voltage regulator mounting - inside?

Postby gammaxy » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:17 pm

Seems like it couldn't hurt to keep it out of the heat.

Interestingly, I've had to replace every coil of the ignition system at least once and especially the secondary coils multiple times through several generations of coils (red, new red, green, and an 8 ohm black one I tried). All this in 400 hours. But I've never had a problem with the voltage regulator. Curious to learn what you find out. I'm still using one that dates back ~10 years, not sure if the part has changed since then.

Seems some suspected VR failures actually end up being alternator/generator failures instead.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:34 pm

gammaxy wrote:Seems some suspected VR failures actually end up being alternator/generator failures instead.

Hope not, as that part is more expensive and much harder to replace. I do still have a normal RPM indication, which is hopeful but not a guarantee.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Jerry09w » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:52 pm

I mounted mine to the skin of the airplane to the left of the pilots knee, been there for years. Nice 100 mph breeze keeping the skin cool.
Jerry
Jerry09w

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:54 am

Jerry09w wrote:I mounted mine to the skin of the airplane to the left of the pilots knee, been there for years. Nice 100 mph breeze keeping the skin cool.
Jerry

Thanks Jerry, that is exactly what I was thinking.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby kmacht » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:22 pm

Just make sure you think through any downsides. The firewall is there to keep things that may cause fire or smoke out of the cockpit. Putting the voltage regulator inside moves the two high amperage wires coming off the alternator as well as the lead running from the battery to the regulator that will have the full power of the battery on it now inside the cockpit with you. A short in any of those wires inside the cockpit could get bad quickly. If you are going to put the regulator inside then at least consider putting some inline fuses on those wires before they pass through the firewall.
kmacht

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:35 pm

Good point Keith. Does anyone know what the voltage and current out of the stator is?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby T41pilot » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:43 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Good point Keith. Does anyone know what the voltage and current out of the stator is?

approx 23v to 27v AC at 3000 RPM when measuring across the alternator leads by themselves disconnected from the regulator. Just did that awhile back when checking my regulator circuit. That would be no load so current not a factor with that measurement.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby tps8903 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:51 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I think I've just lost my first VR. I'll confirm when the new one arrives and I swap it in. The thought occurred to me that I could mount it inside the cabin, and out of the hot engine environment. Has anyone done this? What do you think?

I mount mine with a rubber Adel clamp to the top tube of the Engine mount. I have 2 vents in the top cowl as per the turbo install advice. I suspect I get some good airflow in the back part on my engine Compartment as that hot turbo air gets sucked out those top vents.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Postby n502pd » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:52 pm

IMHO, keep the fire wall as intact as possible. mount regulator on 1" or so standoffs to seperate from mounting directly on firewall,or find an aluminum heat sink,attach regulator to it with heat sink compound, mount heatsink to standoffs, and plumb 1" dia air duct from topside of engine to blow directly on regulator. I have done this cold air for the regulator, and electronic and mag ignition modules. I have no overheating problems with engine from redirecting a bit of cool air this way, but dont get carried away and put more that small diameter ducting as it may lower differential cooling pressures inside the cowl. I also increased the seaplane lip on the bottom opening, and the area increased by 25%.
Joe Nelsen
scratch built :D
Sirpeedee, N502PD, s/n 1510, Aero Vee 2.1 s/n 0870,
ADS-B in (Stratux)/out(SkyBeacon)
Flying @78.2
KGYI/N. Tx Reg/Perrin Field
EAA Technical Counselor, Chapter 323, Sherman, TX
n502pd

Next

Return to Electrical System