Aerovee voltage regulator and Aerovee. 14V

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Aerovee voltage regulator and Aerovee. 14V

Postby waltb » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:27 am

This is for those running a 14+volt regulator and an Earthx battery. When you measure the voltage at the battery, does it get “pulled down” by the battery to 13.1 or 2?? My dynon voltmeter never seems to go above 13.2 during flight. I think I am running a stock VR so my output volts could be lower. Have not measured it yet.
waltb

Re: Aerovee voltage regulator and Aerovee. 14V

Postby GordonTurner » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:26 pm

There are multiple places in the system to take voltage readings, each is relevant in different ways.

For the battery, the only voltage that matters is the one you are measuring, and if your measurement is accurate then it is too low.

Another important voltage is the voltage that is SENSED by the voltage regulator. The voltage regulator will try to adjust the output of the alternator so that the regulators SENSED voltage is as prescribed.

So, what it sounds like is there is some resistance in the circuit to the battery. The voltage regulator is driving the alternator output from a sensing location that has less resistance. This probably means that the output from the alternator is in the correct 14.2 approximately voltage, but by the time the electricity gets to the battery it is down to 13.2.

One (careful) suggestion then would be to try to get the voltage regulator to SENSE from a location that is at approximately the same voltage as you are reading at the battery, ie sense directly from the battery. Be careful though, as this may push your alternator output to well over 15v. The voltage at your main buss should not be allowed to sit this high.

Better would be to figure out where all the resistance in your charging circuit is and remedy that.

Score you start in that, you should verify that your voltmeter is accurate.

Good luck, Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:37 pm

My voltage starts off around 13.7 and as the battery recharges it heads up to 14.4, from what I've written down. Not sure how high it will end up after a longer flight. Most of my flights have been about a half hour.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby waltb » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:39 pm

I’m just wondering if that VR is putting out anything, toward the end of a 1 hour flight, I was down around 12.8 or so. Never played with these lithiums. As a first step I want to see what putting 14 volts on a fully charged Earthx and extrapolate from there. I know what an AGM and SLA battery do. My sonex with pc680 shows 14.3 volts at runup.
waltb

Postby pilotyoung » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:06 pm

I have the Aerovee 2.1 engine and the normal VR. Looking back at pictures I have taken over the last 2 years, in flight after a few minutes the voltage is usually 14.5 or 14.5 or 14.6 volts.
pilotyoung

Postby tps8903 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:05 am

waltb wrote:This is for those running a 14+volt regulator and an Earthx battery. When you measure the voltage at the battery, does it get “pulled down” by the battery to 13.1 or 2?? My dynon voltmeter never seems to go above 13.2 during flight. I think I am running a stock VR so my output volts could be lower. Have not measured it yet.

I have the exact same issue. Any update on remedies? I've purchased 2 new regulators to try. Exspensive if it turns out that isn't the issue.
Chris Morris
Sonex N998PC - SOLD!
Sonex #1732 - Aerovee Turbo
Central Florida
tps8903

Return to Electrical System