Earth X

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Re: Earth X

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:31 am

[
I have one of those EarthX jump pacs https://earthxbatteries.com/product/etx-jmp12-24/. I also have two similar pacs from Costco that I keep in the cars. They work very well and if you get caught out with a dead battery they are golden. The nice thing about the EarthX version is that it can do 24v or 12v also it is LifePo4 which means that it is much less of a hazard to carry in the plane.

I don't know about any problem with jumping a discharged ETX680 with one. I've had to do it once. It is important to be sure that any wiring you use is adequate for the job. If in doubt, give them a call. I've always found EarthX helpful on the phone.[/quote]

So Brian have you used your jump pack to (1) boost start or (2) recharge, your aircraft Earth X?
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:14 am

BREAKING NEWS

Earth X's Australian distributer advise for a situation where mains battery charger not available (on trip scenario) and ship battery below cranking power;

Prefer that an Earth X EXT- JMP 12/24 battery pack be used. He was a bit vague on whether to use battery pack to charge ship battery and then start engine OR start engine directly after connecting battery pack.

If JMP not available - okay to use lead acid (car/motorcycle/etc) battery.

Confusion reigns!
Skippydiesel

Postby DCASonex » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:52 am

Going to full throttle before an earth X battery is charged will definitely fry the flywheel alternator of a Jabiru engine. If you have one of those, be sure to put a couple of fuses not over 20 amp, in the lines from alternator to regulator.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:08 am

My answer to this is a 100w Solar Panel on the tie down box and a $20 Solar Charger controller that weight about 3 oz, strapped to the battery box. The plane is plugged in at all times in the tie down and I always have a fully charged battery.

The controller senses the ETX as an AGM battery and charges accordingly.

I carry a flexible 50w panel for travelling.

I originnaly used this with my lead acid battery. I ran this across EarthX before buying their battery. They were good with it and agreed the battery would still be warranted.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:31 am

I've used several EarthX batteries, but I seem to move through projects and planes too quickly to give any long term reports. For the 912, and other Rotax engines, they highly recommend the actual aircraft batteries even when the specs would seem to indicate that you could use a smaller and cheaper model. They say the smaller ones can be damaged by the charging systems in these engines, so I've always used the ETX680C. I did have one fail on an Airbike last year though. It worked one day, then wouldn't power up the next. EarthX replaced it quickly, but never offered any reason for the failure. I let the battery be charged by the engine just like any other battery. Occasionally I'll connect the special charger when the cowl it off, though I can't imagine that really does much.

As for fuel pumps, I've been using these for years, particularly now with the Onex since it has that "fuel through your windscreen" feature. The only problem I've had with them is the AA battery contacts. They corrode constantly, even with dielectric grease on them. I'll likely end up modifying mine with an external plug for the battery connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010GNM7H4/

I can't imagine carrying anything in the plane used for fueling though. That would have to stink. I only fly locally, so 100% of my fueling is done at my hangar.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:35 pm

Thanks Graeme - will look into a suitable solar system. It would also be of great assistance if you named/part numbered your components.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 am

13brv3 wrote:I've used several EarthX batteries........................................................................................

As for fuel pumps, I've been using these for years, particularly now with the Onex since it has that "fuel through your windscreen" feature. The only problem I've had with them is the AA battery contacts. They corrode constantly, even with dielectric grease on them. I'll likely end up modifying mine with an external plug for the battery connection.

I can't imagine carrying anything in the plane used for fueling though. That would have to stink. I only fly locally, so 100% of my fueling is done at my hangar.

Cheers,
Rusty

Hi Rusty - When I decided I had become sufficiently mature (decrepit) I thoroughly researches the market place for petrol (not diesel or other fluids) refuelling pumps/systems, that would not be dependent on muscle power (lifting 20 L above waist high). I was looking for a pump that would run of ship (12v) or hand power, deliver 20 litres in 3-5 minutes from a 20 litre rigid or flexible bladder, lift fuel, from ground level, into a high wing tank, portable (in aircraft baggage area) be cost effective and flash/ignition resistant.

From failing memory - the pumps fell into the following categories;

Hand operated positive displacement vain pumps; All that would deliver required rate, way to large & heavy. Unable to pump from a fuel bladder (not enough hands).
Electrically (12V-240V) powered positive displacement vain pumps. 240V units disqualified - impractical when away on trip. 12V units very few offerings, heavy & expensive.
Smaller 12V units as used in light aircraft transfer/boost duty - low delivery rate well below what I was looking for.
Gimmick offerings - Sorry Rusty could not think of a other word to describe what I see as slightly enhanced syphons. Siphons are great example of the KISS philosophy (I have several simple ones for tractor & mower applications) but they are only useful when the fuel level is above the delivery point.

Everything that looked the part was only suitable for diesel, kerosene, etc.

After a long and disappointing search I happened on the Holly (carburettors/fuel systems) web site and found a petrol transfer pump designed for very high performance race vehicles. Met all of my specifications except for a price (in Australia) of about $500Au. Looked a little further, the Chines have a copy (almost identical appearance & performance) for under $80Au. A bit of fuel hose, a "spike" (repurposed irrigation riser) suitable switch, cable, Anderson Plug connector (to ship power) and alligator clamp earth. I have a pump which has been doing excellent service for about 6 years now. I can hold the switch on/off in one hand, the fuel hose in the other and the pump sits securely in the neck of the fuel drum/bladder (curtesy of the spike).

As for fuel smell in cockpit - make sure pump is completely empty of fuel/dry - plug inlet/outlet will eliminate almost all odour. I also carry 20L x 2 fuel bladders for collecting ULP when on a trip - don't notice any smell from them either.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:07 pm

Hi All,

My jump pack research has come up with a number of potential suppliers.

The best one (NOCO) does not supply a pack that will do both engine start AND power other 12V devises. Seems odd to me - its all 12V, so I doubt a small refueling pump could either damage the jump pack or be damaged by the jump pack. Perhaps the sales person is trying to "super size" me into purchasing two units, one for jump duties, one for powering other 12 V devises.

I have an alternative supplier in iTech, who claim that their 2000 amp unit will do all I ask, however I have requested that they specifically address the compatibility of their unit with the Earth X battery.
Last edited by Skippydiesel on Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skippydiesel

Postby Skippydiesel » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:07 pm

A follow up on the iTech 2000A.

Very well presented
      Battery pack needs to be charged at frequent intervals (mine @ about 2-3 week) ie not much good as an emergency jump pack as does not hold its charge.
      Unable to energise my small refuelling pump to deliver more than 20L
      Tried to help a Jabiru pilot with a weak (not dead) battery - only good for 3 cranking sessions before voltage dropped below 80%
      Looks very similar to a number of other jump packs, all made in China and very much cheaper

In short, does not even come close to my expectations - ITech refusing a refund, claiming that there is nothing wrong with the unit.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Electrical System