Plug specifications

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Plug specifications

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:45 am

I would like to try and shorten some of the electrical cables, connecting modules etc, in my new Sonex.

If I cut/reduce the cables I will need to re connect the plugs to the shortened cable. I am absolutely certain I can achieve this with a little technical help.

I already have access to a 22 AWG 4 jaw crimping tool - so all I will need is the correct extract/insert tool and the correct male/female pin connectors.

The system is Dynon Skyview and I believe (not absolutely certain) that the plugs on each end of the overlength cables, are D-Sub type, with 2 rows of pins, totalling 9 connectors.

Can anyone advise me of the correct terminology & specifications (size pf pin connectors) so that I may purchase with confidence.
Skippydiesel

Re: Plug specifications

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:41 am

I got all the pins, sockets, correct d-sub crimper with positioners for both standard and small (miniature and sub-miniature? Something like that) stuff from SteinAir. Prices quite reasonable and all the stuff I got from him is good quality and has worked really well. Except the pin removal tools. I haven’t had much luck with that process.

When you remove the pins, label label label. Oh. Label CAREFULLY. If you put a pin back in the wrong hole it’s going to be a bitch to track the problem down.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby builderflyer » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:56 am

Skippydiesel wrote:I would like to try and shorten some of the electrical cables, connecting modules etc, in my new Sonex.

If I cut/reduce the cables I will need to re connect the plugs to the shortened cable. I am absolutely certain I can achieve this with a little technical help.

I already have access to a 22 AWG 4 jaw crimping tool - so all I will need is the correct extract/insert tool and the correct male/female pin connectors.

The system is Dynon Skyview and I believe (not absolutely certain) that the plugs on each end of the overlength cables, are D-Sub type, with 2 rows of pins, totalling 9 connectors.

Can anyone advise me of the correct terminology & specifications (size pf pin connectors) so that I may purchase with confidence.

Here in the U.S. I've bought the necessary tools and pins from steinair.com. You'll need the "standard Dsub" pins and/or sockets and the type of insertion/extraction tool and four way crimper tool that steinair sells for the standard pins. Steinair also has some good instructional videos on youtube if that would be of help to you. Does your local Dynon guy sell the pins and tools you need?

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:54 pm

Thanks Gordon/Builderflyer,

Great labeling advice Gordon.

What I need is the correct terminology to order the male/female connections and that will also facilitate the purchase of the extract/insert tool.
Skippydiesel

Postby Sonex Foundation » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:24 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:I would like to try and shorten some of the electrical cables, connecting modules etc, in my new Sonex.

Anything with pins is a "male" connector, if that is what you are asking. So it sound like you have a DB-9 male connector.
Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation
http://www.Sonexfoundation.com
Sonex Foundation

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:48 am

Good news!

After much" toing & froing" consulting with electronics people, suppliers technical staff (took about 4-5 hrs), I have discovered its pretty cost effective (& reassuring) to purchase a Plug Kit" (X 2) from Dynon, plus 4 extra female pins, to accommodate any stuff up's by yours truly.

The system is a D - Sub, 2 row, standard 9 pin. For some reason, that escapes me, it is about the same price to purchase 2 complete plug kits (+ 4 spare pins) as it would be to purchase 22 female pins on their own & reuse old plugs - such is the modern "throw way" philosophy, few people actually want to rebuild/use old plugs.

Thank you for all your suggestions & advice (particularly Builderflyer).
Skippydiesel

Return to Electrical System