Surplus Wire

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Surplus Wire

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:35 am

My son & I have been heavily involved in wiring the Dyon SkyView and Trig transponder/transceiver installations in my new Sonex. We seem to have a lot of extra wire. Combination or unused Dynon systems and extra length in factory delivered "harnesses" attaching modules to front of panel.

I was always taught that, in aircraft electrical systems, coils of wire are "bad Karma". Particularly for radio interference.

Just wondering what others have done to reduce the amount of extra wiring and where unavoidable minimise the effect of coils interfering with electronic systems.
Skippydiesel

Re: Surplus Wire

Postby taildragger » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:45 am

I bought the smallest length wiring harnesses from Trig and Falken Avionics. Attached is my avionics stack. The only display / controller will be a 12.9 inch iPad Pro via Wifi. I cut down as many wires where possible but don't want to "cut and splice" a lot of wires. I'll just coil the extra cable bundles in a convenient area.
A.jpg
Trig panel
A.jpg (144.1 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Attachments
A.PNG
Mounted behind pilot
A.PNG (676.41 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Building electric Xenos
President, EAA Chapter 1250
taildragger

Postby sonex1374 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 am

Use a pin extractor tool and remove any pins/wires you don't need. You may leave a few wires in place if you have a reasonable suspicion that you'll need them in the near future, but you'll eliminate the vast majority of the excess you don't need.

If/when you decide you need those wires back, you simply remove the connector, re-use the wire and pin by re-inserting it into the original slot, and connect the wire to the new device.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:23 am

+1 on what Jeff said. I don't have Dynon but I made all my harnesses so my wire length is appropriate to my installation.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby builderflyer » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:48 am

Skippydiesel wrote:My son & I have been heavily involved in wiring the Dyon SkyView and Trig transponder/transceiver installations in my new Sonex. We seem to have a lot of extra wire.
Just wondering what others have done to reduce the amount of extra wiring and where unavoidable minimise the effect of coils interfering with electronic systems.

I made my own cables so they are not too long or too short, they're just the right length, and they have only the needed wires within them. Besides, it was less expensive to buy the necessary tools and wire to make the custom cables than it was to buy the Dynon cables (Dynon supplied the connectors with the device).

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:45 pm

builderflyer wrote:
Skippydiesel wrote:My son & I have been heavily involved in wiring the Dyon SkyView and Trig transponder/transceiver installations in my new Sonex. We seem to have a lot of extra wire.

I made my own cables so they are not too long or too short, they're just the right length, and they have only the needed wires within them. Besides, it was less expensive to buy the necessary tools and wire to make the custom cables than it was to buy the Dynon cables (Dynon supplied the connectors with the device).

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiiru 3300 #261

I agree whole heartedly - we may have to go back and "reduce" all the supplied cables HOWEVER this will not change the Dynon mass of cabling going nowhere (we are not using all the potential Dynon "gizmos") unless we go cut/remove every redundant wire.
Skippydiesel

Return to Electrical System