B&C's new Voltage Regulator will be released soon!

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

B&C's new Voltage Regulator will be released soon!

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:02 am

B&C has been working on a new voltage rectifier/regulator designed expressly for the kind of permanent magnet alternators we use in our planes (e.g. Jabiru, AeroVee, Rotax), and it's nearing the home stretch to bring it to market! You may recall that Bob Nuckolls discussed this project our Episode 20 & 21 (Electrical Systems), and gave us a peek at the design goals he was attempting to reach with this design. In a nutshell, it's a robust, ultra-high quality VR with built in over-voltage protection that will work with our single phase PM alternators. Additionally, the output setpoint was going to be set high enough to reliably charge Odyssey batteries as well as the current crop of lithium batteries (somewhere around 14.2-14.5 volts, but we'll have to see when they finally release the specs).

I spoke with B&C yesterday for an update and they are anticipating shipping the units soon (still not sure exactly when, but in weeks, not months). I'll post a follow-up when they hit the webstore. Anticipate about $250 (my guestimate, not theirs), but these units should last a lifetime, and will come with B&C's outstanding warranty support if they do go bad.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Re: B&C's new Voltage Regulator will be released soon!

Postby pilotyoung » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:29 am

Jeff,

Will these units be substantially different from the Silent-Hektik. Those units have overvoltage protection and are disigned for Earllinx batteries.

I have both in my RV-12 and they are working beautifullly.

John
pilotyoung

Return to Electrical System