EarthX battery

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

EarthX battery

Postby DCASonex » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:47 am

The article about lithium batteries in most recent newsletter reminded me it was time to do something with mine.

Not quite 3 years ago I purchased an EarthX ETX 900 to use in my Sonex with CAMit 3300. It worked great, really kicked over the engine, and unlike the Odyssey PC680 that it replaced, starting the engine did not pull down voltage enough to cuase the GRT Sport SX EFIS to reboot if it was on at the time. However, next Spring, battery starting a slow blink of its warning light after about 15 minutes into each flight. Charge voltage was good, and tried leaving it on its recommended Optimate charger over a couple of days to let it re-balance its cells but no joy. Contacted EarthX and the quickly replaced it. All good again. -- Until the next Spring, then same problem re-appeared. EarthX again replaced it even though just a couple of weeks short of expiration of its two year warranty . (EarthX reported cell imbalance as problem both times.)

I got very busy with other things, and never got around to installing that replacement and have been flying with the old Odyssey PC680, and now do not think i will re-install the EarthX. Reason is that Jabiru and early CAMit engines have had failures of flywheel connection to crankshaft and starting forces are suspected as possible cause. (Later CAMit engines have an extra bolt in that connection that may or may not help alleviate that problem.) The initial charge rate when engine revved for takeoff is also high for the problems know with those Jabiru flywheel alternators. The fact that this pilot has since lost about 30 pounds also reduces the need for the lighter weight battery, but that is a loss on wrong side of the W-and -B calculation and have added small lead weight to tail.

So here is the deal: Buy my Optimate Lithium LFP4s5a, 12.8 volt, 10 step, charger for full price (listed on Amazon for $117.) and pay UPS - GROUND ONLY freight charges and get a free nine month old, brand new, never used, EarthX ETX900 (the largest that fits in box made for a PC680) battery, (listed for sale at $450 from several sources) but with no remaining warranty of any kind, absolutely FREE.

Anyone interested PM me.

David A.
DCASonex

Re: EarthX battery

Postby mike.smith » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Sorry to hear about the Earth-X issues. I've had mine for 2 years, through sub-zero winters and 100+ summers with no issues. In the winter I throw it on the charger 2 or 3 times. Other than that I've done nothing to it. I think I have the same charger as you:
https://www.amazon.com/OptiMATE-Lithium-TM-471-Battery-charger-tester-maintainer/dp/B007GRGUJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523046745&sr=1-1&keywords=TecMate%2F%2BOptimate%2BLithium%2BTM-471&th=1
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby 9GT » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:34 am

PM sent on the charger and battery David. I'll take it.
David Clifford
Howell & Gladwin, MI
RV-9A: Under Construction (I'm a repeat offender!)
RV-10: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2013 N959RV
Cozy MKIV: Built & Sold: Flying Since 2007 N656TE
9GT

Postby racaldwell » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:43 pm

If the deal with David falls thru, let me know and I'll buy it.

I will be putting an Earthx in my Xenos project.

I have the Earthx 680 in my RV-6 and it spins the O-320 great. Much better than Oddesey. Mine is now about 2-1/2 yrs old.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Return to Electrical System