Intermittent ignition problem

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Intermittent ignition problem

Postby billmaxmcw » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:28 pm

I built and fly a 2012 Aerovee Sonex. Recently, one cylinder began misfiring when on magnetron only. And only after being in the air a few minutes, not on initial warmup. No better after spark plug replacement. Any ideas?
Bill
Bill, Oregon
2012 Sonex taildragger (kit)
Aerovee 2.1, Aeroinjector
billmaxmcw

Re: Intermittent ignition problem

Postby mike.smith » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:50 pm

Bad mag? Bad mag spark plug wire (cracked insulation or melted through (touching exhaust))?
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: Intermittent ignition problem

Postby robin » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:52 pm

I have the same issue on one plug #3 cylinder but on the secondary (coil) ignition system. I have replaced / swapped every component of the secondary ignition system (from trigger to plug) so I am almost certain it is not an ignition system problem. It occurs above 2500rpm but is just noticeable very intermittently at around 2000rpm and steadily increases to a steady miss above 2500rpm. The timing appears to be pretty good as swapping between systems below 2000rpm shows no change in rpm. I have been adjusting the mixture and making sure the valves are correctly set but so far no solution.

Sorry I can't give you a solution but if this is happening to 2 of us it has most likely happened to others so hopefully someone can tell us how they fixed it.

Robin.
robin

Return to Electrical System