wing tip nav lights

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

wing tip nav lights

Postby tx_swordguy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm

I have the incandescent bulb type nav lights in the tips of the wings (end of the wing not a corner type light). I have not been able to get them to work since buying the plane in april. The rear marker light and nav lights are on the same switch and the marker light works but the tip lights do not. I am only getting 11-11.2 volts at the light socket on both wing tips. I am assuming that I have a bad wire somewhere but I cannot get the base plate off the wing tip. There are 3 screws that are very difficult to turn and act as though they are galling in the threads. Is there something I am missing in taking this base plate off? Bulbs are fine and work on a full 12v off a battery. I am guessing I am getting a voltage drop due to bad wire or light assembly but I cannot check the assembly if I cannot get it out. I was going to run a wire to the neg side of the battery and see if I get full 12 volts with no drop at the socket. I am at a loss as to how to replace any bad wire if I cannot get to the wing tip end of the wire. my only inspection hole is about 3' from the wing tip.
Mark
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Re: wing tip nav lights

Postby mike.smith » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 pm

You'll probably need to link to some photos for someone to identify the product, and to help.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Re: wing tip nav lights

Postby EdW » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:32 am

Sounds like bad ground, the most common cause of stuff like you describe. Loose connection, corroded socket/bulb base, almost aanything can cause this. Best advice? Learn some new swear words and plan on spending the weekend checking every wire and connection.

Ed
EdW

Return to Electrical System