MGL EFIS RF/EMI Problems

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Re: MGL EFIS RF/EMI Problems

Postby Rick524 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi Noel, I have an Enigma and have the same spurious noise problem as you. MGL's answer was to install
ferrite chokes everywhere. I tried that and saw a slight improvement. My Enigma has a plastic case (read no shielding),
so as an experiment, I wrapped the top and side with thin hobby shop brass (.008") and soldered it to ground
tabs from the panel. It helped a lot. I made sure the shielding was between the com radio (X-Com) and
the efis. I only did the top and sides of the Enigma, but your I-efis may radiate from different areas. I suspect
the screen radiates a lot and there isn't anything you can do about that.
As a test, take a small (4"X6") piece of alum or brass and ground it with a short piece of wire. Listen for changes
in the radio noise while you move it around the I-efis. Maybe you can find an area of the I-efis to permanently
mount some shielding.

Good luck!

Rick
Sonex 524
Rick524

Postby Fastcapy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:17 am

Good idea Rick. I may try that with my Xtreme
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby SvingenB » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:28 pm

NWade wrote:Has anyone else experienced a noisy MGL EFIS like what I demonstrate here? I'll be contacting their support shortly, but wondered if folks here are familiar with this problem. It certainly doesn't seem like a ground-loop to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg8bZ5wZ3bk

Thanks for any informed thoughts or first-hand experience you can speak to!

--Noel
Sonex #1339

Have you heard anything from MGL?

Also, do you have the newest firmware?
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby NWade » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:01 am

SvingenB wrote:Have you heard anything from MGL?

Also, do you have the newest firmware?

Yes, I have the newest firmware. I finally did hear back from MGL just before Christmas. I'm going to be shipping my EFIS back to them so that they can take a look at it and possibly replace it. Will keep everyone posted on what happens!

Take care,

--Noel
NWade

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 pm

Noel,
As someone who spent a year chasing EMI/RFI interference in our radio(dynon 7 in skyview + dynon radio & intercom) , the best advice i could give you would be to buy a mgl V6 R remote radio , mount it in the rear baggage/rollover structure and mount a mgl R2 remote head in the far right of the panel. I did this with a xcom radio + remote head. We did everything, talked to tech at dynon, had the local avionics repair shop guy take a look, ferrite beads , shielding etc . Could never get it all out. Did many tests with handheld, vs panel mount. We have our com antenna mounted on top behind rollover bulkheads. Sitting in the plane between the antenna and efis, every time you put your hand near the efis it caused noise in headsets, also we got some type of static bursts now and then. My guess is you will get your efis back from mgl with the note that everything is ok.
Also advice to anyone installing an efis: install some steam guages as back ups so you can still fly . Airspeed , altimeter, rpm, oil pressure. Weve had to send our efis and ems box into dynon for repair on separate occasions. Dont get grounded on a beautiful day to fly because your panel is empty.
Other radios that offer a remote unit with a head are becker , and trig.
Most of the units are connected by a single shielded RS232 line with 3.5 mm plugs. Or d-sub connecters. Make sure the wires are shielded.
Sorry to hear about your oil mess.
Good luck with your aerovee turbo. Alot of you guys have some good ideas on cooling . The factory is working on something too.

WaiexN43NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WannaFly » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:12 pm

Gripdana wrote: I had a 2 port USB charger mounted in the panel. It was kind of cheap. I decided to change it out for the cigarette lighter type and use a plug in USB charger.

Same problem for me! What was the cig converter you got? I"m trying one soon.
Onex Turbo Aerovee first flight June 3 2019!!
RV6 in progress
Rans S14
Vector 627
100 hours 172
last flew 9/28/2000
WannaFly

Postby edclee » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:57 am

Be aware, I chased this problem for two days before I disconnected my wired USB adapter. It was producing so much RFI that even the squelch on the radio would not work. These adapters that have switching regulators can produce a huge amount of RFI if the design is not shielded. I had mine wired directly to the master so I could have USB even with everything off. That is what made the problem hard to find, because I had to have the master on to check any one thing.

MGL V6, MGL Mini EFIS,
edclee

Previous

Return to Electrical System