Earthx battery

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Earthx battery

Postby kmwoody » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:57 pm

David,

I know you were wondering about the Earthx battery. I have the ETX36E. I am glad I have it, I really needed less weight forward. I did not build my Sonex so I don't know how efficiently, weight wise, that I installed my firewall forward. The plane weighed 669. I wasn't happy with the CG so I added 4 lb lead in the tail. The plane is now 673 and the CG is where the Aerovee CG was. It doesn't help the CG that I weigh 165 including Zulus.(it helps the climb and speed though;)) I also keep 8 lbs of necessities strapped in the luggage area.
I still had to adjust my Dial-a-trim as the nose would drop in cruise at full up trim.
The battery sat most of the winter in the cold hangar and I only charged it once, in December. It doesn't loose it's charge. It turns the engine over nicely.

Ken W
Sonex 959
CAMit 3300
kmwoody

Re: Earthx battery

Postby DCASonex » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:18 am

Ken,

Thanks for the info on that battery. With all the goodies on mine it is quite a bit heavier than yours and also tends toward nose heavy, that battery would make a big improvement on mine, especially since I have removed about 10 pounds from the cockpit (and my waistline).

David A.
DCASonex

Postby LarryEWaiex121 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:43 am

Glad you guys are paving the way. After calculating the weight diff. on my new Camit I'm hoping this battery is just what I need?
Engine is heavier which helps me because my Waiex has always run out of down trim with fuel burn off and seats full at about 7 gallons remaining. That is with 430 lbs in the seats.
What I didn't want, was to loose useful load. The battery will lesson my firewall forward by 9 lbs and that gives me back all but about 3-4 lbs.
Lightness doesn't come cheap (Earthx) but its worth it to me.
Anyone wanting a 5 yr old perfect shape PC625 could have it for the cost of driving to my hanger and pick it up. It still in excellent shape and never been drained.

Larry
Waiex121YX
LarryEWaiex121

Postby rhw5548 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Guys
Also herd John M. Say the new 'B' model has a Lighter spinner. I think they Hollowed it out some.
Tried to get some info from Kerry, but he just said it's done during the CNC process.

Bob W.
Sonex #0243
Plans Built
AeroVee
Plans Built SN #0243
MGL EFIS Electronics
Tri-Gear, Dual Controls
Todd's Canopy
Prince p-Tip Prop
Echo UAT (ASDB)
Jab 3300 A
FlyQ EFB
rhw5548

Postby mike.smith » Tue May 03, 2016 6:44 pm

rhw5548 wrote:Hi Guys
Also herd John M. Say the new 'B' model has a Lighter spinner. I think they Hollowed it out some.
Tried to get some info from Kerry, but he just said it's done during the CNC process.

During the B-model webinar that's what John said; the spinner is hollow. I think he said it weighs half the previous spinner weight (don't quote me on that; it could be lighter).
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby mike.smith » Wed May 04, 2016 6:26 pm

EarthX batteries are on sale for 10% off during all of May, at Wick's Aircraft. They just note, "WHEN ORDERING ONLINE OR BY PHONE PLEASE MENTION EARTHX DISCOUNT."
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Return to Electrical System