gaugepods overhang remedy

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

gaugepods overhang remedy

Postby messydeer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Hey, guys!

Got my gaugepods wingtip light mounts. I placed them as close to the tip of the wing as possible, but with my Aveo Powerbursts, they need a 15mm extension to clear the wingtips. Aveo said there can be only 5mm overhang and I've got 20mm. Will building it up with fiberglass work and bond well with whatever plastic it's made of?
messydeer

Re: gaugepods overhang remedy

Postby messydeer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:28 pm

More thoughts...seems like using some glass bubbles with epoxy along with maybe some cabosil to stop it from sloughing would work. There's less than an inch to build up. I could simply scuff up the face, mush some on and sand it out to the right shape. I also contacted Gaugepods. Said it was made of ABS and they'd forward my email to the manufacturer.
messydeer

Postby DCASonex » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:29 am

Glassing over a layer of foam makes a quick strong built up surface. Have also used layer of Balsa wood as filler when right kind of foam not at hand.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby messydeer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks, David :-)

I ended up mixing together epoxy, bubbles, and silica for one side and used a couple 1/4" thick pieces of balsa for the other. Think it was the first time since I was a kid with a model glider that I'd worked with balsa. Sure does sand and cut nicely.
messydeer

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:50 pm

Anybody find a non-homegrown solution? Are there any clever Australians 3D printing these and offering them for sale yet? I have the same issue mounting my Whelen Orion 600's to the gaugepods. I asked it they could make bigger ones and they said no.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Anybody find a non-homegrown solution? Are there any clever Australians 3D printing these and offering them for sale yet? I have the same issue mounting my Whelen Orion 600's to the gaugepods. I asked it they could make bigger ones and they said no.

If you can get a CAD file made, there are local companies that will do 3D printing for you.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby kevinh » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:34 pm

I don't have a 3d printer (but I have mechanical eng friends who do), but 3d printing this was my plan when I get to this point. Alas, I don't have my navlights yet (going to be a day vfr plane so I was going to buy something cheaper than the Orions). However, if no one more more competent steps up I could give it a shot if you send me a drawing for your lights and the angle/depth you want from the wingtip. I'm sure my friend would print a couple for just the cost of goo and I'd happily share whatever cad file I make.

Or I could upload the design to thingverse and they'd cheaply print it and mail it to you.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Kevin,
That would be cool! The brochure here with the base drawing and some dimensions are here:
http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/Orion_600.pdf
You would probably need more info to model, as none of the elevations are shown.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Electrical System