AeroVee Alternater Woes

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

AeroVee Alternater Woes

Postby rkurian » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:19 pm

I'll be sending tech support this same information, but wonder if anyone on the list has any ideas that I haven't tried.

I have an Odyssey battery. I have the 20 amp alternator. I had not been able to pull my tach off the alternator, and also noticed that my voltage meter only read battery voltage. That led me to believe there was something wrong with the alternator. I put a volt meter on it, and found that I was getting 0 out of it. Took it apart. The two wires coming from it were broken right where they enter the stator. So, bought a new one from Sonex. Still no output. I painted the stator and the magnets with a felt tip and made sure that I was not rubbing at all. All of the magnets seem good, though 2 don't seem as strong as the others. I can see where this might give me less than optimal output, but it should be outputting something.

Is there anything else that I can check? I charged the battery to make sure that wasn't the issue, and went flying. Flew for about an hour, 3000+ RMP (I read off the mags). Volt meter still just shows battery voltage.

Anyone have any ideas? I also borrowed a stator from another Sonex, and got the same results. An ohm meter on both shows 0 ohms on my lowest setting.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ray Kurian
N115DM (19 hours to go in phase I)
Ray Kurian
Sonex 612 (N115DM)
Plans Built
Trigear, Aerovee, Dual stick.
First flight 4/11/2015
rkurian

Re: AeroVee Alternater Woes

Postby marsolgp » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:11 pm

I would start at the basics…… disconnect A.C. leads (coming from stator) from the voltage rectifier/regulator and put a meter on those two leads, select AC Voltage on the meter…. run engine at higher RPM and see if you are getting any reading. Ideally, you want at least 20 VAC.
G. Marsolais
Waiex w/Turbo Aerovee
Rotec TBI, Sensenich Climb Prop
MGL Xtreme EFIS & EMS
A/P, iFly720 w/ADS-B
marsolgp

Re: AeroVee Alternater Woes

Postby sonex1374 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:45 am

Ray,

Send me an email and let's talk. I may be able to help.
sonex1374@gmail.com

Jeff Shultz
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Return to Electrical System