Lightweight Battery

Discussion of aircraft electrical system design, construction, and problems.

Re: Lightweight Battery

Postby fastj22 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:42 pm

That's the same battery I bought at AirVenture. I modified my existing Odyssey battery box to handle the different shape and dimensions but still use the same firewall piano hinges. Charged and installed it back in Sept. I've started the plane several times with it, never ran long enough to recharge. Have done at least an hour of work running the led wing lights and EFIS. Still shows 13Volts. I think even if my alternator quits, it will provide enough juice to the EFIS and radios for at least 2 hours, probably more.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby EricS » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Does anyone happen to know what the average operating temperature inside the cowl of a Aerovee/Jabiru powered Sonex is? On the Ballistic Parts website it states that the battery, which Peter installed, has an operating environment of: -18
Eric Seber
Waiex #153
Jasper, Indiana
http://www.mykitlog.com/EricS/
EricS

Postby fastj22 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

The Odyssey PC625 temp range is a little wider.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:49 pm

There's been a fair amount of conversation on VAF about these, seems quite a few guys are trying them, some for more than a year. I'm not aware of any disasters yet. Cold Cranking seems to be the primary concern.

A couple of ideas to run through the brain trust...

1. They make these chemical "glove warmers", I think they're reuseable (?), put a pocket on the front of the battery compartment, slip an activated glove warmer in there before you start preflight, remove it when you're ready for start, and (hopefully) voila.

2. Install a very small electric warmer (there must be something out there), and perhaps a second small battery (EFIS backup?) to warm up the starting battery before start.

Some additional complication, but you get the significant weight savings even so.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby vigilant104 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:25 pm

GordonTurner wrote:1. They make these chemical "glove warmers", I think they're reuseable (?), put a pocket on the front of the battery compartment, slip an activated glove warmer in there before you start preflight, remove it when you're ready for start, and (hopefully) voila.

2. Install a very small electric warmer (there must be something out there), and perhaps a second small battery (EFIS backup?) to warm up the starting battery before start.

Some additional complication, but you get the significant weight savings even so.

Per the info below, maybe these batteries don't need to be warmed up if it is at least 32 deg F?. If they do, I'd think it would take a while to do the job, since the heat has to get through the plastic case and warm up a chunk of stuff inside. A warm air heater used to get the engine and everything else under the cowl warmed up over a period of hours before flight might be more effective than a shorter-term application of heat.

From the Ballistic Performance website http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/16cell.php:
Operating Environment: -18°C (0°F) to 60°C (140°F)

And here's what their Q&A says about cold weather ops. Its worded in a confusing fashion, but I think they are saying these batteries work well in the cold:
Q: If I use my powersports vehicle in cold weather which battery should I use?
If you regularly operate your powersports vehicle in weather below 32 degrees Fahrenheit (0°C) then we recommend you use the next size battery up from what is recommended in the application chart. All batteries start to lose performance below 32°F (0°C), and LiFePO4 batteries tend to fall off more dramatically. When the temperature of the EVO2 goes below 32°F (0°C) internal resistance starts to build in the battery and the amount of available amperage goes down as well. This should lower the Cold Cranking Amps, correct?

A: No. LiFePO4 batteries have the ability to build their own internal heat energy when a draw is put on the battery. This means that although if may be 0°F (-18°C) outside, the battery has the ability to raise its internal temperature to 58°F (14°C) in seconds with a 100amp draw. As the temperature rises inside the battery, internal resistance lowers and the battery performs just like it does when it is 60°F (15°C) outside. This means that the amount of available amperage does not change based on temperature. Check out our video of Cold Starting Characteristics of LiFePO4 Batteries.
If you operate your vehicle in temps lower than 32deg;F (0deg;C) we do not recommend our batteries. You would best served with a traditional deep cycle lead-acid battery.

That "internal heating" characteristic is something that sounds, well, umm, "very good to be true".
Last edited by vigilant104 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby GordonTurner » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Well, that would be easier. I have heard anyway that typically the cranking is wayyy better on the SECOND start attempt.

I still like multiple batteries, extra switches, electric heaters, isolation diodes for charging. Elegance? Rube!
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby rizzz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:42 pm

I’m working on installing my Evo2 battery for the moment, the battery “box” (if you can call it that) is extremely simple to make. As you can see I’m I copying the design from Peter Henry’s, a picture of his is displayed on the previous page in this thread. Thanks Pete :)
I can’t get over how small and light this battery is BTW.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby fastj22 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 pm

I have that exact same battery. I use it as a paper weight. Its a great battery until you completely discharge it. If you leave your master switch on, it will drain it below its ability to recharge and you will have a paper weight. Take appropriate measures.

One would think that with such an advanced battery, it would have internal circuitry to protect itself from a deep discharge.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby rizzz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:53 pm

fastj22 wrote:One would think that with such an advanced battery, it would have internal circuitry to protect itself from a deep discharge.

Yes, I agree.
Modern phone batteries have such a mechanism built in, why not these?

Other than that I like the battery so far, I’ll just have to make sure I never forget to turn of the master.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby fastj22 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:49 pm

rizzz wrote:
fastj22 wrote:One would think that with such an advanced battery, it would have internal circuitry to protect itself from a deep discharge.

Yes, I agree.
Modern phone batteries have such a mechanism built in, why not these?

Other than that I like the battery so far, I’ll just have to make sure I never forget to turn of the master.

Repeat customers. You ruin your battery, you will buy another. I will probably buy another one when I find a good deal. Unfortunately for them, I had an old school Odysey to keep me running.

John Gillis
fastj22

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical System