Spar Tunnel Craziness

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Spar Tunnel Craziness

Postby BobDz » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:37 pm

I'm considering making the wing attach angles and the aft tunnel web assembly a "sub assembly" to make it easier to install the flush rivets on the inside of the tunnel. Then installing the sub-assembly to the L/H and R/H skins which is riveted from the outside of the Skin.

Same for the Forward Tunnel Zee, but the sub-assembly will remain clecoed to the skins for wing rigging.

Seems to me to be the easiest way to get the flush rivets nicely installed. I would not want a rivet head interfering with the wing spars.

Any reason(s) not to do this?

TIA
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Re: Spar Tunnel Craziness

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:14 pm

There is usually more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. Do a dry run with clecoes or a couple of aluminum pops and see if there are issues. I did not have any problems with those flush rivets.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BobDz » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:17 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:There is usually more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. Do a dry run with clecoes or a couple of aluminum pops and see if there are issues. I did not have any problems with those flush rivets.

Did you have to install the flush rivets with a hand riveter inside the Spar tunnel?
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:51 pm

I have a vauge memory of using bent mandrels and wedges to pull them. I don't remember if I used a hand or pneumatic riveter.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby N265DF » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:54 pm

Don't know if its still available but I used an Arrow hand riveter that I think I got at Harbour Freight. I found out about it on the old Sonex Talk site. It broke in the middle of riveting so I went back to Harbour Freight and found one with the same demensions. I'll be damned if I didn't wear it out too, but after finishing the spar tunnel. No way could I get the air riveter in there.
Darrell Frey
N265DF

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B