Aluminum Fuel Tank

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Aluminum Fuel Tank

Postby BobDz » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:25 am

Just curious if anyone has attempted to use an aluminum fuel tank?

It appears to me to be relatively easy to make. Either a welded assembly, or a riveted assembly with a tank sealer.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Re: Aluminum Fuel Tank

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:44 am

I know one was made down in Area 51. The cool thing was that it was lighter. I'd consider it if I built another. I've had no issues with my poly tank.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BobDz » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:51 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I know one was made down in Area 51. The cool thing was that it was lighter. I'd consider it if I built another. I've had no issues with my poly tank.

Lighter was my motivation.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Postby Area 51% » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:20 am

The one I made was 3lbs lighter than the plastic job. It also holds another 3 gallons because I made it to fit under the glare shield better than the stock tank.

Never had a fitting pull loose either.
Attachments
DSCF1294.JPG
Area 51%

Postby BobDz » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:26 am

Area 51% wrote:The one I made was 3lbs lighter than the plastic job. It also holds another 3 gallons because I made it to fit under the glare shield better than the stock tank.

Never had a fitting pull loose either.

Excellent! Thank you for the info.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Postby kmacht » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:17 pm

Just make sure you think through unintended consequences. An aluminum tank sitting right over your legs may not be the best idea in a crash. The plastic rotomolded tank is much more durable

Keith
kmacht

Postby Jgibson » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:26 pm

kmacht wrote:Just make sure you think through unintended consequences. An aluminum tank sitting right over your legs may not be the best idea in a crash. The plastic rotomolded tank is much more durable

Keith

You mean like the Ercoupe, or Luscombe with the aft fuse tank, or the many bi-planes build and designed with fuel tanks there? Any durability issues the rotomolded tank may have are negated by the possibility of a fitting being easier ripped out of those plastic threads.
Fuse tanks have been around since the beginning of flight. Is it the BEST place to put it, probably not but certainly not something that would prevent me from using an aluminum tank. Once it’s installed, forget about it as far as leaks go as opposed to the ‘plastic’ stock one that seems to constantly be plagued with leaking thread issues, stress issues from turning a valve on and off. And because of the location of the Sonex tank, the LAST thing anyone wants to do it remove a leaking tank. If the aluminum tank and bungs are welded correctly, and the mounting is done properly, install it and forget it.
And the Sonex can certainly use any additional fuel capacity obtainable.
Nice job on that welded tank!

Joe
Jgibson

Postby BobDz » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:54 pm

There are plenty of examples of welded aluminum tanks.

And...
There are a few examples of riveted tanks with various forms of sealer. Afterall, Vans wing tanks aren't welded. And there are many suppliers of various tank fittings. I think I'm going to do it. Maybe 025 or 032, closed head countersunk rivets, and tank sealer.

Should be fun!
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Postby kmacht » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:19 pm

It's experimental aircraft so it's up to you to choose. I just want to point out that the other planes mentioned that have aluminum fusealage tanks also don't have a better and safer option like the sonex does. .
kmacht

Postby BobDz » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:33 pm

kmacht wrote:It's experimental aircraft so it's up to you to choose. I just want to point out that the other planes mentioned that have aluminum fusealage tanks also don't have a better and safer option like the sonex does. .

Understood. But "better and safer" are subjective terms.
I'm not a fan of rotational poly tanks. We used two in our van build, and have replaced both. One of them will probably be replaced again. The weak link in the chain are the threads. Probably explains the use of oops fittings.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
N624DZ (reserved)

BobDz

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B