Proper order to drill wing spars (B Model)

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Postby BradPayne » Mon May 22, 2023 6:18 pm

I would like to confirm I understand the process properly before driling the wing spars.

Based on Pg W08 in the plans, It looks like the spars and the Wing Attach Blocks all get drilled out to 1/2" before they are mated to the fuselage.

Is this correct? if so, how do you drill out the holes on the spar box and F16-07, F16-12 when the holes in the spars are already 1/2" The spar with 1/2" holes will be sandwiched between the smaller holes in the spar box.
BradPayne

Re: Proper order to drill wing spars (B Model)

Postby lakespookie » Mon May 22, 2023 7:07 pm

Its been a while since i did this but i think there is a drill guide you are supposted to use to drill them after you install the blocks and mate both spars together if i remember correctly which i dont necessarily trust to be remebering correclty. That being said i will check my plans when i get home and my builder log.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby dboeshaar » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:56 pm

I'm also confused.

On SNB-W11 is shows the Right spar blocks drilled to 1/2" (use a drill press to make sure they are straight)
BUT they do not show drilling LH spar to 1/2"

Do you do that later in place?

When do the LH blocks get drilled?

Dkb
==============================================================
David Boeshaar
KWHP
TDAIRCRAFT.COM
My Greatest Fear: What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
==============================================================
dboeshaar

Postby lakespookie » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:36 pm

Sorry hurt my back and have not been building or pay much attention to the forums my plans obviously have slightly diffrent numbering since i am building a Y tail and not the Standard tail but from a wing perspective if i recall correctly you drill the other block when you mate both spars, check the drawings down the tree, there is a point where you mate the spars prior to attaching the lock in blocks that look kind of like missoury but less curvy, and you use the 3 alignment holes to do that well part of that process is also drilling out the second block with both spars bolted together temporarily,

Granted i am answering this from memory but check down the drawing tree you should see a page that goes over that.

Found it https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojentry&proj=7Wc0KY8D6&e=7y2oXlsjv&listcat=wings&sid= there are some pics of the mating process and the follow on drilling of of the second attachement block using the drill guide that is 1/2 inch in OD which is why you need to drill out one in a drill press first so you can fit the drill guide.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby ddeford » Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:21 pm

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering the same thing.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
ddeford

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B