Uavionix TailbeaconX install

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Uavionix TailbeaconX install

Postby BRS » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:15 am

Does the epoxy stick to nylon?! Perhaps the carbon particles will make it work. Let us know.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby SP1 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:51 am

fastrichard wrote:That mount for a TailbeaconX looks like a good idea. I have only recently acquired a 3d printer, just a cheap Ender3 and have yet to print any material other than PLA. Would you be able to provide files and printer settings I might be able to use to duplicate that mounting adapter? Unfortunately My vertical tail is already complete, so I would be fighting the same issues with routing the wires that you encountered.

Fast Richard
Shoot me a PM with your email.

Settings are pretty machine specific. Sorry can’t be much more help.
SP1

Postby SP1 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:59 am

BRS wrote:Does the epoxy stick to nylon?! Perhaps the carbon particles will make it work. Let us know.

It's going to be awhile before the setup gets flight tested (90% done...), but it seems to hold up very well.

The filament manufacture does recommend using epoxy for bonding as opposed to other adhesives.
SP1

Postby builderflyer » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:45 pm

[quote="SP1"]Like many people, I'm building a Sonex because it strikes the right balance between affordability and performance, with great emphasis on affordability. I'm doing a very basic panel and really like the Uavionix products. The TailbeaconX is a good /cheap way to be ADS-B compliant, which is especially important for me as I fly under a Mode C veil. /quote]

I'm also a fan of the Tailbeaconx and am currently installing one in an old Cessna that I'm bringing back to life and don't want to be unneccesarily restricted as to where it can go. But, as you probably know, ADS-B out is not required beneath the Mode C veil. It's required above Mode C airspace, in Mode C airspace, but not beneath the Mode C veil. Just wanted to clarify the point if my memory hasn't totally died at this point.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby jerryhain » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:47 pm

How much would you want to print one for me? No access to a 3D printer and I'm installing the tailbeacon I'm pulling off my 172.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby Panther16 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:42 pm

Mode C vail is not a shelf. It is a vail around most B and C airspace and does require ADSB out.
Panther16

Postby SP1 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:42 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Nice job!

Thanks Bryan! I’m just really proud of making the part from an original idea and putting it together well.
SP1

Postby SP1 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:44 pm

jerryhain wrote:How much would you want to print one for me? No access to a 3D printer and I'm installing the tailbeacon I'm pulling off my 172.

Jerry,
Please send me a PM with an address so I can figure out shipping cost.
SP1

Postby rick9mjn » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:49 am

your installing / building looks very good.....
.just to add my .02 cents<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
when you go to program your Tailbeacon "with your airplane info" make ""SURE"" you are with in 6 FEET of the Tailbeacon........
i spent / waisted, hours and hours, doing the update on my tailbeacon last spring,
while, trying to update the Tailbeacon from 20 feet away.
note; that 20ft., distant's was quoited in the install manual
..good day / rick
rick9mjn

Postby builderflyer » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:04 am

Panther16 wrote:Mode C vail is not a shelf. It is a vail around most B and C airspace and does require ADSB out.

Of course, you're mostly correct. When the original poster said mode C veil, my dying brain read it as class C airspace, so my remarks in response were just plain wrong. But the mode C veil is only found around class B airspace. I'm not aware that it exists around any class C airspace.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B