Uavionix TailbeaconX install

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Uavionix TailbeaconX install

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:08 pm

builderflyer wrote:
Panther16 wrote:Mode C vail is not a shelf. It is a vail around most B and C airspace and does require ADSB out.

Of course, you're mostly correct. When the original poster said mode C veil, my dying brain read it as class C airspace, so my remarks in response were just plain wrong. But the mode C veil is only found around class B airspace. I'm not aware that it exists around any class C airspace.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261

You are absolutely correct Art. A Mode C veil is normally a 30 nm ring centered around a Class B airspace. There is no veil around a Class C airspace.

One small correction for something I read earlier: a Mode C transponder AND ADS-B Out is required when operating in the Mode C veil.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Weatherpilot » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:16 am

Regarding the TailbeaconX install - Could you send me the .stl file so I can print one please?

Going with the TailbeaconX and the AV-20 to control it. Already have an EFIS so I'm going to pass on the AV-30E. I have AV-30C's in my 1957 172 and they work fine but I think the 2.5" AV-20 will do just fine.
Greg Hubert
Sonex A #972 TD
Aerovee Prince P-Tip / Dual stick
Third Owner
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia
Weatherpilot

Postby badaero » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:40 am

I am installing an AV20E and TailbeaconX also, my son has a 3d printer and we have been discussing printing something like you have done. If you can share your file it would be much appreciated.

Bruce
Bruce Drinnen
M'boro,TN
720SX
"Money can't buy happiness but it can buy airplanes and bacon!"
badaero

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:33 pm

Hi all,

just to make clear to everyone, the mode c veil is airspace in a 30nm ring from the primary airport. class b airspace . does not include the actual class b airpace.
surface to 10,000 msl . yes you need a mode c and adsb out to operate in the veil.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
retired faa
atc 38 yrs
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:57 pm

Hi all,
Some other helpful hints ,tail beacon install. be very careful installing the mounting ring.
the unit is a insert twist and lock. dont force it . you can crack the circuit board!
be careful tightening the screws!
this i got from VAF vans airforce
lots of good posts, some sharp folks on that site.
if you break the circuit board uavionixs will give you a $1K credit towards a new one.
over 100 have been broken!
ebay has many for sale, just be sure to get the origional password to change the n number and info.

have fun.

michael.
WaiexN143NM

Postby rick9mjn » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:59 am

to add my 02 cents, to the " helpful hints " ;
when you program the tailbeacon, make sure your p.c. that you are using to program, is with 6 feet of the tailbeacon
, the manual says 12 or 20 feet, but when i programed mine, it programed best within 6 foot....
...good day
rick9mjn

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B