Updrill size for 10/32 bolt

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Updrill size for 10/32 bolt

Postby JFYrineo » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:39 pm

Am going nuts trying to find the right drill size spec for up drilling vertical stabilizer spars for 10/32 bolts. A 3/16” drill is too small, but not sure what/where there may be specs on how tight the hole size is for bolts?
JFYrineo

Re: Updrill size for 10/32 bolt

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:42 pm

Not at the shop to give you the answer, but google the specs for an bolts, and get the reamer sized to the middle or so of the spec range for diameter. I drill with #15, then final upsize with my reamer, and get a snug fit with most bolts. Sometimes i try a second bolt for a better fit, but its always pretty good.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Re: Updrill size for 10/32 bolt

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:10 pm

That seems odd. Usually the nominal size is a little big, and if you want a really snug fit you drill undersize and ream to the proper size for the bolt. Usually this would be a little less than 3/16".

Are you drilling up in steps? If you go right from a #40 to 3/16, the hole won't be as round as it could be. Holes get a little triangular with a big step. That's another reason to make the last step a reamer for critical joints. Reamers make round holes.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B