Pretty Sure I Ruined My Spar

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Pretty Sure I Ruined My Spar

Postby lakespookie » Tue May 03, 2022 1:17 am

So after not building for 2 months, I finally got a normal weekend with some time off and went off to work on my main spar. Well low and behold i forgot how to notice the little details in the plans and though i was placing the spar attach angle in the right place instead i placed it where i belive rib 1 goes on the left spar, after getting through the rest of the parts that go on the spar without issue i was looking over the plans in preperation for working on the right spar and i noticed a little measurement and it hit me, I made a huge fubar. so now i have 8 perfectly reamed tight fit holes on a spar where a rib should go!!!!

Lets just say this has not been my year, between a 3 month covid recovery, a car accident in this market (Currently waiting 12 of 20 more weeks on a car i ordered; there goes all the disposable build income lolz) and working like a crazy person the last thing i needed was to destroy a 2k spar, In other news stuff happens i will get the right spar right and hope i can salvage this spar with some input from the factory.

Right now my only hope is that i can mount the rib with the screws and a backing plate but that will most likley cause serious edge clearance issues but who knows if anyone has screwed up worst than this i could use some encouragement!!!!
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Re: Pretty Sure I Ruined My Spar

Postby GordonTurner » Tue May 03, 2022 7:48 am

Send pictures and a drawing of what you think might be a repair to Sonex. Chances are they will assess and work with you.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby lakespookie » Mon May 09, 2022 10:00 pm

Got the OK from the factory to use bolts in place of rivets for the rib mounting and to make up for the swiss cheese I created.

for refrence check out the build log.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby Murray Parr » Tue May 10, 2022 4:20 pm

The root rib has an angle braket which uses AN3 bolts (at least on the B model ). Could you not just make new brackets to suit the holes you have already drilled?
Murray Parr
WXB0015
Rotax 912ULS
MGL Explorer Lite
First flight May 6/23
RV9 builder (Sold)
Murray Parr

Postby lakespookie » Wed May 25, 2022 8:30 pm

I drilled the holes on the location for RIB 1 to the outside of where the attachment angle should go. The concern was more so with the swiss cheese i created and any potential structural weaknesses over how to mount the messup.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B