Cutting/shortening titanium landing gear legs.

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Cutting/shortening titanium landing gear legs.

Postby Chuck26287 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:03 pm

I'm building a Sonex-B with Tri-Gear. Is it common to have to cut/shorten the titanium leg to achieve the specified measurement from the bottom of the fuselage to the center of the outboard tip of the axle when mounting the main gear legs? The Tri-Gear specs call for 14 3/8" from the bottom of the fuselage to the center of the outboard end of the axle, and with the leg as supplied (~24 1/2" vs the specified 24"), it's at roughly 16" from the fuselage bottom. I have ensured the leg is inserted into the mount tube as far as it can go.

It just seems odd that they would send a 24 1/2" piece to start, then specify to make it a part that's 24" long, with a 1/4" hole 1/2" from one end, and you then have to shorten it again by more than an inch. I also assume the 1/4" hole that's 1/2" from one end is at the fuselage (gear mount weldment) end, not the wheel end.

I'm just wanting to make sure the leg isn't supposed to be a fixed 24".
Chuck Bennett
Anderson, IN (EAA Chapter #226 - Anderson Municipal Airport - AID)
Sonex-B Tri-Gear Full Airframe Quick Build
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Awaiting Delivery For:
Prince P-Tip 54"/60"
Chuck26287

Re: Cutting/shortening titanium landing gear legs.

Postby XenosN42 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:32 pm

That is a good question for Sonex tech support. Worth waiting a day or two for their answer, it’s difficult to cut that rod and it’s expensive to boot.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby mathieu1120 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:13 pm

Hi, I am facing the exact same issue. Did you get a response from sonex?
mathieu1120

Postby T41pilot » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:31 pm

Sonex has been told of the issue more than once. The choices are cut them or don't. The plane will fly the same either way. Sight picture over the nose on the ground will be a bit worse if you don't cut. I chose not to cut but for my 5'6" frame it is an issue. It may not be a factor for a taller person.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby Area 51% » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:20 am

The way I see it, Sonex gives you two free chances to practice drilling holes in the titanium. Get them wrong, and you can still cut the legs to the "correct" length and try again. Get them right the first time, and you have the option to leave them long or to shorten. It's much easier to accept a crooked cut than a botched hole.

Having said that, I recently received a set of Tracy O'Brien main gear legs. Installed in the mounts as far as they will go gets me a 14 1/2in measurement.

I suspect Gregg's comment is based on a tail-dragger's gear length and not a trike. A trike's view should get better with longer legs.

P.S. I have an undrilled set of tricycle titanium main gear legs available if things go terribly wrong while drilling or cutting. F.Y.I. they are from an older Sonex kit and are 25 inches long.
Area 51%

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B