B model center yoke - Y or straight pipe?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

B model center yoke - Y or straight pipe?

Postby sjakulski » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Well, I ordered the optional Y yoke for my B model, but in sitting and pretending and testing the ergonomics I’m not sure I like it. Awkward it seems to me. What have others found with the Y? Or how content with the straight stick are others and what length did you cut the straight pipe to?

Steve
sjakulski

Re: B model center yoke - Y or straight pipe?

Postby pappas » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:52 am

I had both options for my Waiex. The "Y" option took up too much lateral room in an already tight cockpit and cost twice as much to put in 2 high-quality grips with internal switches as well as tice the time to install and wire them.

Do yourself a favor, use a single stick. If your pax/co-pilot can't reach the single, center stick, they are too tiny to be flying with you!
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby sjakulski » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:53 am

pappas wrote:I had both options for my Waiex. The "Y" option took up too much lateral room in an already tight cockpit and cost twice as much to put in 2 high-quality grips with internal switches as well as tice the time to install and wire them.

Do yourself a favor, use a single stick. If your pax/co-pilot can't reach the single, center stick, they are too tiny to be flying with you!

Roger that! Did you cut to a specific height…if you recall?
sjakulski

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:59 am

You'll need to get your head down near the rudder pedals at some point and the y stick might be in the way. I cut my stick so that the grip clears the instrument panel by about 1 inch. Be sure you leave room to clear the push pull rod for the fuel tank valve if you plan on having it come up thru the panel.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby DuncanK » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:28 pm

I liked the idea of the Y stick but as supplied by Sonex the fore/aft angle of the Y is completely wrong. Hence I installed the straight stick, which is comfortable. However, I like to write stuff down when I'm flying (especially during the first few hours) and I like to hold the stick while writing (the bumps in AZ always upset whatever trim is set!). With the center stick I find that my left arm is stretching across where I want to write (or at least making writing difficult,) and, I suspect, also making it more likely to put in an unwanted stick input. Hence I am considering changing to the Y stick, but the Sonex Y stick will have to be re-welded.
In terms of how much to cut down the stick? I think the real decision is how close to the bottom of the panel do you want the top of the stick? I left nearly an inch of gap, with hindsight I think 1/2 inch is plenty.
DuncanK

Postby Sonerai13 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:11 pm

I am a fan of the straight stick. The "Y" never did anything for me. When I fly the airplane, I find that, for just general cruising I just lay my arm down at my side and grip the stick wherever my hand comfortably falls. This would be below the "Y", so w "Y" carry the extra weight. (See what I did there??? LOL) And as others have mentioned, the "Y" gets in the way when working on the airplane. Stick with the straight stick! (Oops, did it again!)
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby pappas » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:51 pm

I fabricated a non-standard panel that was 1/2 inch lower than the stock panel. Therefore, I cut the stick to allow about a 1-inch clearance between the top of the Tosten military grip and the bottom of the panel.

I am also in Arizona, so, as far as the bumps upsetting the trim goes....Autopilot Baby!! :-)
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby John Monnett » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:30 am

Oh...Joe.:)
John Monnett

Postby Scott Todd » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:18 am

DunkanK recently flew his new Sonex for the first time. We need a flight report and a photo or two in the appropriate forum. Dunkan?
Scott Todd

Postby sjakulski » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:18 am

DuncanK wrote:I liked the idea of the Y stick but as supplied by Sonex the fore/aft angle of the Y is completely wrong. Hence I installed the straight stick, which is comfortable. However, I like to write stuff down when I'm flying (especially during the first few hours) and I like to hold the stick while writing (the bumps in AZ always upset whatever trim is set!). With the center stick I find that my left arm is stretching across where I want to write (or at least making writing difficult,) and, I suspect, also making it more likely to put in an unwanted stick input. Hence I am considering changing to the Y stick, but the Sonex Y stick will have to be re-welded.
In terms of how much to cut down the stick? I think the real decision is how close to the bottom of the panel do you want the top of the stick? I left nearly an inch of gap, with hindsight I think 1/2 inch is plenty.

Tend to agree. Had the Y been designed straight up and not angled it might have been ergonomically doable with the hand/wrist. But, not as designed. And, I agree it is too big.
sjakulski

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B