Fueselage Static Port Routing / Pathing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Fueselage Static Port Routing / Pathing

Postby builderflyer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:18 am

Art, I went with behind the panel based on Kip's success with that location. Cessna released a service bulletin for the C120/140 that had you disconnect the wing mounted static port and vent it to the cabin instead - so it can be good. Of course your personal evidence says it can be bad as well. Static port locations are a black art.[/quote]

Bryan, my Sonex has the naca vent openings as originally shown on the plans. So, I'm suspicious that there is swirling air behind the panel as, living in California, at least one vent is open during every flight. I didn't try closing both vents to see if that made any difference in providing a reliable static pressure. Good luck with your setup.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru #261
builderflyer

Re: Fueselage Static Port Routing / Pathing

Postby builderflyer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:37 am

Can you describe the "ring collar" Art? Is it just a small tight fitting O ring or something a bit fancier?

Peter[/quote]

Peter, the ring collar is actually a model airplane wheel collar that is made of metal and it came with an allen head set screw to hold it in place. It is placed on the static tube behind the ports and its precise location to raise the static pressure the correct amount was determined by trial and error during many test flights. If you'd like a photo I can get you one.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B