Bent Longeron At Tail

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: Bent Longeron At Tail

Postby pappas » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:00 pm

You simply drill out all the rivets that hold the bent longeron to the fuselage skin. Clamp the new longeron in the bent one's place at several points to be sure it is aligned, then drill through the existing holes in the skin into the new longeron. Cleco as you go. Very simple, don't fear it.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Blank wrote:I just finished replacing both upper rear longerons in my legacy kit due to the previous builder completely botching the horizontal stab install...among other things. Kerry was key in pushing my to do it. It was labor-intensive but I'm very satisfied with the end result. I purchased the 1" angle of 6061-T6 locally and saved a ton on shipping cost. Feel free to get in touch with me as I have many photos of the removal and re-install process.

I would love to see your pictures and I may pick your brain if I go that route. At this point I am comfortable moving forward with the build after hearing back from Kerry today. I am going to update this thread once I am done with this message.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

My Sonex build on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xug4ugK ... rningToFly
OtterlyFoolish

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 pm

pappas wrote:You simply drill out all the rivets that hold the bent longeron to the fuselage skin. Clamp the new longeron in the bent one's place at several points to be sure it is aligned, then drill through the existing holes in the skin into the new longeron. Cleco as you go. Very simple, don't fear it.

After looking closer it is not as intimidating as I thought and I could make a simple guide/punch on the lathe that would allow me to accurately locate the new holes. That may not be needed because I heard back From Kerry today and he sees no problem with me moving forward.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

OtterlyFoolish

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:52 pm

UPDATE: I heard back from Kerry at Sonex today and he said that he sees nothing that concerns him and that I should be fine. In addition he told me

"I NEVER recommend parts replaced or repaired because I’m worried about liability. My concern is the safety of each airplane, not whether we may get sued or not."

So I am comfortable with flexing this back and then inspecting it closely once again before making my final decision.
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

OtterlyFoolish

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:27 pm

Good talk!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:49 am

Not only cost, but shipping long parts can be problematic. Even ACS is not immune to having parts damaged in shipment, and that wastes your time even through ACS is very good about replacement (been there, done that.) 6061-T6 is the most commonly found grade of structural aluminum angle material and there is very likely a source not too far from you unless living in the extreme boonies.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 am

You typically get the best deal if you buy a full length, i.e. 25'. It is nice to have a little extra stock in the shop.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby OtterlyFoolish » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Clamped a large steel block spanning the bend (supported with non marring material) and a 3rd C clamp in the center to gently pull it back. 4 separate tries to get it within about .020” but I did not want to try again and over bend it. This will be perfectly fine once all the other components are riveted in place.
Attachments
straight longeron.jpg
Student Pilot
Western MA - KGBR
#0024 Waiex B QB
Aerovee Turbo

OtterlyFoolish

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B