Wiaex-B Tail Kit v Plans

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Wiaex-B Tail Kit v Plans

Postby lakespookie » Wed May 27, 2020 2:07 pm

Hey Everyone,

For those of you that own the plans, as I currently only have the tail kit with the limited plans, aside from big picture do I gain any additional work I can do with regards to the tail kit by purchasing the plans? I am making way faster progress than I expected on the tail kit and am hoping that buying the plans will give me one or two more pages of work with the stuff I have like possibly attaching the ruddervators to the stabilators.

I will probably pick them up anyways but just one of those things i wonder if i get any value from ordering them now vs waiting for my order of the wing kit.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Re: Wiaex-B Tail Kit v Plans

Postby sonex1566 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:36 pm

Unfortunately there are times when I really have to let rip at my wife, now I'm going to have to do it to you.......PATIENCE! Trust me, it hurts me more than it hurts you to use such inappropriate language. All joking aside, I don't think that you can only order the plans for the B models. You may be able to cut and machine the various angle parts, but they may come with your kit anyway. The other crazy option is continue down the scratch building route, the downside is that it will turn into a legacy model. If you do that you earn the right to wear your under pants on the outside of your jeans super hero style. Good luck, have fun.
Richard
Scratch build Sonex
Std gear, dual control
Jabiru 3300, Sensenich prop
19-8776
1st Flight 25th June 2019. 170 hrs so far.....
http://www.sonex1566.com
sonex1566

Postby Rynoth » Wed May 27, 2020 8:17 pm

When I built my full legacy Waiex kit (same tail/aft fuselage as the WIX-B afaik), I started with the tail section. Turns out, once built, the tail section sat around unattached for most of the build and wasn't fully/permanently attached to the fuselage until about 1000 hours of work later (in my case.)

In other words, there isn't much more that you can do with the tail without having the aft fuselage completed. If you're almost done with the tail and want to move forward, it's time to buy more (or the rest) of the kit.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby fastj22 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:07 pm

lakespookie wrote:Hey Everyone,

For those of you that own the plans, as I currently only have the tail kit with the limited plans, aside from big picture do I gain any additional work I can do with regards to the tail kit by purchasing the plans? I am making way faster progress than I expected on the tail kit and am hoping that buying the plans will give me one or two more pages of work with the stuff I have like possibly attaching the ruddervators to the stabilators.

I will probably pick them up anyways but just one of those things i wonder if i get any value from ordering them now vs waiting for my order of the wing kit.

Time to pony up and buy the next kit. This is why drug dealers give the first fix for a discount.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby lakespookie » Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Well the tail kit only includes plans to build the ruddervator and the stabilator but not the actual plans pages for the attachment of the ruddervator to the stabilator etc. hence my post its more of a I will need to drop the 750 anyways when I order the wing or fuselage kit so I was hoping if I drop that cash now I can grab one or two more pages or assemble work.
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby Rofomoto » Thu May 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Get the plans and start scratch building fuselage parts till wing kit comes.
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Rynoth » Thu May 28, 2020 7:17 pm

For what it's worth, there have been issues in the past of posting/sharing plans pages. I believe the stance from Sonex is the plans are proprietary, and making them available publicly violates terms of use etc.

I "think" that your partial plans will have the build order tree with the unordered parts shaded out. If you follow the build tree upwards you'll find that the tail pages you've completed aren't incorporated into the rest of the airframe until much, much later in the build. There just isn't much else you can do with the tail once completed before most of the rest of the airframe is completed.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby lakespookie » Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Rynoth wrote:For what it's worth, there have been issues in the past of posting/sharing plans pages. I believe the stance from Sonex is the plans are proprietary, and making them available publicly violates terms of use etc.

I wasnt asking for the plans i was just asking if there was value i.e. additional progress i could make with the plans on their own. That being said looks like the answer is no or if yes very minimal so i guess i got to start thinking about the next kit, But based on the greyed out sections i figured there were at least a page or two where the ruddervator is attached to the stabilator and the stabilator tip is actually attached which are not included in the tail kit
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
lakespookie

Postby Spaceman » Thu May 28, 2020 8:24 pm

I wouldn't bother attaching the control surfaces until you have the stabilators attached to the aft fuselage. Mounting the stabilators would be a lot harder with them clanking around, and they would block all the rivets you need to install anyway
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B