B-Model conversion

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

B-Model conversion

Postby fastj22 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Everyone got the Sonex email about discounts for the B-model conversions, 10% off. Looking at the price, it might be something I want to do, under $10k. And I really like the look of the B. Has anyone converted a flying legacy model to it yet? Can you do most of the fabrication while still flying your Model A then come winter, do the swap? Lots of things I'd like to do better turtle deck forward. Sure like 20gals up front. I'd probably still do a tilt back canopy.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Re: B-Model conversion

Postby thomas » Sat May 26, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi John,

I believe Leroy Brandt's B-model was a conversion. Here's his thread:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=4039&p=30901&hilit=leroy#p30901

I hope you're not too much in a hurry to convert as I would regret not getting to see your famous "speed cowl" at a fly-in some day!

Paul
thomas

Postby sonex1374 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Since the B Model conversion kit is pretty much new parts forward of the seatback, you probably could build most of it as a unit, then make the swap all at once. Plus, your plane is running really well, so it's about time to tear into something, right? (I know, I know, stop egging him on!)

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby fastj22 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 pm

Interested in what changes to the wing rigging. The Model A bolts go through the vertical supports. Since these move outboard? Is there some gusset or other flange to keep the same holes?

John Gillis
fastj22

B-Model conversion

Postby n307tw » Sun May 27, 2018 7:08 am

fastj22 wrote:Interested in what changes to the wing rigging. The Model A bolts go through the vertical supports. Since these move outboard? Is there some gusset or other flange to keep the same holes?

I’m building a b model and can send you some pictures if interested of the build and plans - nearly done with the fuselage. Let me know what you want and I’ll email them to you. All the best.
-Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Wrede
Long Island, NY
Sonex-B #18, Nosedragger
Aeromomentum AM15, Garmin G3X
My Build Site
n307tw

B-Model conversion

Postby Lbrandt » Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 am

fastj22 wrote:Interested in what changes to the wing rigging. The Model A bolts go through the vertical supports. Since these move outboard? Is there some gusset or other flange to keep the same holes?

John
The skins of the wings are trimmed to match the shape of the new fuselage. Basically from nothing at the trailing edge to about 3” at the leading edge. New machined wing mount blocks are included and used to replace the 1” angle with solid aluminum blocks that we fabricated for the Legacy wing mounting. These have pilot holes for tre wing bolts and the installation went well. If I remember correctly there were new root ribs but not all new ribs. I formed new ones for the items that were not in the kit.
I’m very cramped in my fuselage because if the lowered seat. I felt much more comfortable in the Legacy model.
I did appreciate however the added firewall area for installing all the goodies for the UL engine.
For anyone building the B model (the windshield is attached to the aluminum skirt while laying flat on the bench), I sure wish I would have known that.
Now that our turf runway finally firmed up I should be able to start flying more this week. I only was able to get three short flights last winter.
Hope this helps a little.
Leroy

Lbrandt

Postby fastj22 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Lbrandt wrote:I’m very cramped in my fuselage because if the lowered seat. I felt much more comfortable in the Legacy model.
I did appreciate however the added firewall area for installing all the goodies for the UL engine.

Leroy,
Curious if the above statement is accurately typed. Do you find the B-model more cramped? I fly my waiex center most of the time and have the lowered seat. Flying left seat is a bit cramped.

John Gillis
fastj22

B-Model conversion

Postby Lbrandt » Mon May 28, 2018 10:40 pm

fastj22 wrote:
Lbrandt wrote:I’m very cramped in my fuselage because if the lowered seat. I felt much more comfortable in the Legacy model.

Leroy,
Curious if the above statement is accurately typed. Do you find the B-model more cramped? I fly my waiex center most of the time and have the lowered seat. Flying left seat is a bit cramped.

I do feel that because of lowering the seat that I’m cramped. The center stick hits my leg where with the dual stick my knees could spread. I can’t use my rear leather seat cushion because it pushes me too far forward. Others may fit in the airplane differently than I do however.
I tried sitting in the middle but I’d didn’t care for it.

Lbrandt

Postby fastj22 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Preliminary clearance from the home ATC to pursue a B-Model conversion approach. Now I gotta go to OSH to sit in one before executing it.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby fastj22 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 pm

So I pulled the trigger and bought the conversion kit at the show. I won't be documenting the process on these inner tubes as you jackals will rip me apart, but I will periodically report in on something noteworthy. Once you sit in a B model, you will follow me, unless you have much more self control than I do. Nice winter project I hope.

John Gillis
fastj22

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B