Any Big guys sat in the B models?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Postby mcjon77 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 am

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if any larger/thicker guys (not just tall and lanky) have had a chance to sit in the B-model cockpit yet. Specifically, I am wondering if you are able to get full stick travel when applying left aileron. Leroy Brandt mentioned that this was an issue with his B model conversion, and I wanted to know if others have noticed the same thing.

The irony for me is that if this is the case, the legacy Sonex with a dual stick might be a better options. I am working on that right now, but was planning to buy the conversion kit instead. I won't be able to check for myself until Airventure, so any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys!
Jon
Back To Building (after long hiatus) Sonex #1287
mcjon77

Postby Flymh47 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:54 am

I’ll throw my $.02 in here. I’m a pretty big guy and sat in the B at Oshkosh ‘16. I found it to have much more room compared to a legacy A. A lot of that is perception, but the more reclined seating and the curve of the panel, along with the straight fuselage sides, to me anyway, contributed to the roomy feeling. My only wish was for a bit more payload. I found no issue with the center mounted stick, but in full disclosure I have not flown a Sonex.
Sonerai IIL N36VJ
Flymh47

Re: Any Big guys sat in the B models?

Postby mcjon77 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:26 am

Thanks for the info!

If you don't mind me asking, about how big are you? Part of me remembers how narrow each side of the center stick legacy version was. There was zero chance that I could fit both of my thighs on one side of the old center stick.

Another part of me looks at the new B model measurements (40 inches across, IIRC) and realizes that for the American Airlines Economy flight I was on last week, the seats were only 17-18 inches wide and, while snug, I had no problem with that for 4 hours at a time.
Jon
mcjon77

Postby kmacht » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:25 am

If you look at the b model changes compared to a legacy model the additional room may not really be where you need it as a larger person. The distance at your shoulders and hips remains unchanged between the models. What they did was to keep the rear cross tie the same and make the side panels go straight instead of taper in. This gives you a little more room by your knees and significantly more room by your feet but the hips and shoulders remain pretty close to the same. The big advantage of the b model is the redesigned gas tank to give you more panel space and a wider firewall to allow more engine options. Before you commit to spending years building I highly recommend you go sit in one to see how you fit. Even if you have to take a weekend and travel somewhere it would be a wise investment of time and money to make sure your building the right plane for you.

Keith
kmacht

Postby mcjon77 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:07 am

I definitely wont commit to the B model until I have sat in one.

I know that the standard legacy Sonex with dual sticks works for me, I sat in it at Airventure and at the Sonex workshop. Thankfully, the decision point where I need to chose between a legacy Sonex and the B model won't be until fall or winter, at the earliest. So I will find out for myself at Airventure this year.
Jon
mcjon77

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B