Sonex B Build Time

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Sonex B Build Time

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Still researching a decision on the build of a Sonex B vs a Onex (prefer the B). Haven't been in a great hurry due to work this past fall. I was wondering what might use as a good estimate for build time for both the Onex and Sonex. I'm inclined to go polished w the Aerovee if it were the Onex and Aerovee Turbo or Jab if it were the Sonex. I have a little experience, having built a Sonerai IIL, which was a fairly easy build. I am guessing I can put in 12 hours per week on avg. I just don't know if its 1000, 1500 or 2000 hours. I recall seeing a mag article stating build times below 1000 for both, cant remember which article...don't know if that's even possible. Anyway...really curious as to some actual build times and what made it long, or short.

peter h
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Re: Sonex B Build Time

Postby Stogie6 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:30 pm

I built the Onex. I started to attempt to track my hours, but lost interest in the time spent. Total build was 3 years / 2 months (Sep 2013 thru Nov 2016). Slowest part of the build was during the winter months in a cold hangar. As far as component-wise, the wing paddle assembly took a little thinking. Other than weather and waiting on shipments from various vendors, the build was exactly what I wanted to achieve and that was to build my own airplane (and spend quality time with my Dad as he was my tech counselor/build partner).
Good luck with your research and enjoy the build.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby sonex892. » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi Peter h

For a comparison, it took me 4 years to complete a plans built Sonerai 2LS. I made my own ribs, spars and welded the fuse.

It took 15 months to complete the Sonex. The sonex was an older kit with no pre-made angles or pre-punched match drilled parts. I think the new Sonex includes all that stuff, which should save a heap of time.

Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Gordon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm

I am building an early Onex kit 0024 from June 2011, that I bought from the 2nd owner......it was 5 years old and had the tail only partly build. I would have been better to have started with a new kit (bought this one in Aug. 2016). At this point Dec.2017 the wings are finished including removable tips, the fuselage is on the gear, tail installed (ready for flight), engine installed (Hummel 2400), canopy finished, wheel pants and cowl finished and am just now wiring up the panel. I also took 4 months off, spent last winter in Arizona/New Mexico so have only put in about 1 years of work and about 800 hours.

I am a "repeat offender RV builder" so I have a lot of experience on RV's but this is my first experience with Sonex. I find the Sonex kits lacking compared to the Van's kits. For example a Van's wing kit would have EVERYTHING in the box except the paint......a finished set of spars, laser cut extrusions, an all the hardware (nuts and bolts). With Sonex this is all extra $$$.

As far as build time goes......my last RV-7 I built in 4 1/2 years and 2400 hours. This Onex will be about half that time.....likely about 11 or 1200 hrs and 1 1/2 years.

I would discourage the Aerovee Turbo on a Onex......you just don't have enough room for the Turbo.....the Sonex B model would be a better choice for that. There are a few Onex's with the UL Power (one in Texas) and they are getting great performance number out of the Onex although it is kind of pricey.

Good luck with your choice.

Gordon.........Onex 0024......Hummel 2400
Gordon

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for those replies. I built everything on the Sonerai II as well. Loved that airplane.
Anyway I ordered a OneX David Clark headset and a Sonex B tail kit. Hopefully there will be another complete airframe kit deal soon and I'll jump on that right away.

Peter H
Doylestown, Pa
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B