Rotax Mount

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Rotax Mount

Postby pschwenn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:12 pm

B Series Sonexers and Rotaxers,

Is anyone building or converting to B-Series who will use the Sonex Rotax (B-series) mount? I would like to learn more about it. Photo, diagram, measurements, .... And I would like, if at all possible, to visit a builder who will build with that mount (I would come quite a way). As an A-Series builder/flyer I'm constrained to appeal directly to builders to learn about the mount.

Thank you,

Peter Schwenn
6514 41st Ave
University Park MD 20782

240-602-6931

N16XN under construction
N32SX @ KCGS (912iS being installed)
http://www.schwenn.com
Eaa4 - KCGS College Park MD
pschwenn

Re: Rotax Mount

Postby mcjon77 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:26 pm

I am converting to the B series, but I am a solid 18 months to 2 years away from even buying the mount from Sonex. One option is to stop by the Sonex factory in Oshkosh and take photos/measurements yourself. Last I checked, they had Rotax engine mounts in stock for the B model.
Jon
Back To Building (after long hiatus) Sonex #1287
mcjon77

Re: Factory Rotax Mount for legacy Sonex now offered

Postby SonexN76ET » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:22 pm

This is great news from Sonex about offering a Rotax engine mount for the Rotax. I will be ordering my mount this week! I have just ordered the Rotax instruction manual and installation video. I will likely buy my engine from Titan Aircraft in Austinburg, OH. I am looking at going with the Sensenich Rotax ground adjustable propeller. I will also need to purchase an exhaust system, oil tank, oil cooler, radiator, expansion tank, and plumbing. I am buying a balancing device for the twin Bing carburetors. Not real happy about the need to rebuild the carbs every 200 hours. I may buy two sets and have one sent to Lockwood for rebuilding while using the other set. I will also have to learn how to service the gear reduction unit as required if you burn 100 LL. Big challenge will be fitting all this inside the cooling. I already have a fuel pump installed from when I was using the Rotec TBIand I have a Vans RV8 throttle quadrant I was using with the Rotec. This should be a fun challenge and I look forward to getting in the air with the Rotax 912 as soon as possible with minimal downtime. I will probably also install a five gallon auxiliary fuel tank similar to Josh Bardell's.

One of my goals is to be able to burn MOGAS with 10% ethanol as AVGAS at my airport is still at $6 a gallon.

My primary goal is to confidently go on long distance cross country trips over rough terrain with either my wife or kids as passengers.

Wish me luck!

Kudos to Sonex for offering this mount for the legacy Sonex Aircraft.

Sonex Rocks!!!

Thanks,

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby lpaaruule » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Sounds like a great idea Jake. Looking forward to the full report when you're finished.
Paul LaRue
Sonex N454EE Plans# 1509
Jabiru 3300
First Flight 12/21/2017
http://www.mykitlog.com/lpaaruule
lpaaruule

Postby Concorde » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:02 pm

I am very happy to hear this news and will be ordering the mount very soon. Also hopping to see the fire wall forward support from Sonex . Where did you order your Rotax installation video Jake ?
So if anyone interested, I have a Jabiru 3300 tri gear motor mount for sale .
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby ihab » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:42 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:This is great news from Sonex about offering a Rotax engine mount ....

Wait, Jake, where is this lovely announcement to which you refer...? :)

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby ihab » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:44 pm

Never mind, found it!

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3785

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby SonexN76ET » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Paul, I ordered the Rotax installation video from Homebuilt Help. Rotax-Owner.com also has instructional videos. I am looking into those too.

Ihab, perhaps it is time for you to finally start building too!

Great news about the Rotax mount for legacy aircraft.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi all, jake,
Sounds like fun jake! Lockwood aviation is an expert in all things rotax and puts on engine seminars. Parts manuels etc. another rotax expert is brian and carol carpenter of rainbow aviation in corning ca. They offer a 2 day and 2 week lsa course. In the 2 week course you completely disassemble and re assemble a rotax 912. They have an article in the july issue of sport aviation about 'burping' the 912 and checking oil level. Cheers! We'll be watching your progress !
And yes kudos to sonex!
WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Brett » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:32 am

I'm really excited about the legacy rotax mount now being on offer,,,,, I plan though to give the Aerovee turbo I already have installed a fair chance to prove its reliability first. I'm at about 50 hours now and will go to about 100 then decide. Certainly can't fault the performance of the Aerovee turbo but am after the reliability of the Rotax.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B