Xenos B for tall pilot?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby Lbrandt » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Michael
I did explain my space problem to Mark a couple weeks ago. He really couldn’t see how I could have a problem with the dimensions of the cockpit.
The center stick configuration along with the seat back hinge placement is what created the problem,
I built the very first B conversion.
My Legacy Sonex suffered some damage in a landing after my AeroVee broke a valve adjuster. Downwind landing back at the airport that I had just left about 8 minutes prior plus I was high and fast when I reached the end of the runway. So she suffered some damage so I decided like Kerry said to get the latest and greatest.
I actually had more fun plans building a big share of my earlier Sonex, no waiting for parts, no incorrect parts, no wrong bolt sizes. I thought the plans left a lot to be desired.
I never would have made a post like this when Jeremy was still around but I probably wouldn’t have had to either.
I’ll be happy to post some performance numbers when I get my biannual out of the way and we get some warmer days.
I may just fly it with a local ag pilot rather than wait. I never could have gotten in the air with two people with the AeroVee but the 107HP UL feels really strong. I have the Prince P-Top prop.

Thanks
Leroy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lbrandt

Re: Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi leroy,all,
I understand your fustration. Kerrys reached out to you, please take up his offer of assistance. Your the first one to customer finish a B model. I remember your story now with vw legacy sonex. Pick a good day to fly. Can you fly as a sport pilot lsa using your drivers license? Understand u need a biannieal.
Dont know if moving the bottom seat back hinge is ok , like david wondered about with flap drive. Kerry could advise. But understand gives another inch.
Maybe as i earlier stated a dual stick setup like the legacy line may suit some builders better.,maybe even the older dual stick mixer box still work?
Keep your suggestions coming. We want to hear. Im sure sonex is interested in your feedback. Your'e a trailblazer.
Jeremy. Ugh, well he will always be missed and remembered. Im sure much more so at the factory, more than us.
Remember this is supposed to be fun. After the 5:30 news each day its fun to retreat to the workshop.
If you had any plans mistakes i hope you wrote them down, so you could pass on to sonex for review and revision. My friend from texas phil davis built one of the first onex's . He was in constant contact with kerry. He helped proof the plans.
I have a set of 'B' plans for #183.
Keep posting , let us know of your first flight, and any mods you decide to do.
Happy Thanksgiving to the Monnetts, the factory and staff, the sonex community.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby Lbrandt » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Michael & anyone else that might be interested
I can make it work for me if I leave the rear cushion out of the airplane.
The seat was not changed because of the flap actuator position which one builder mentioned. It’s location is quite far back.
The new control stick is beautifully machined but it changes the location of the elevator pushrod to the center of the airplane rather than offset to the left like on the Legacy so both of the vertical control rod supports in the tail cone have to be repositioned. The most rearward vertical is a real tough one to get to. I had to remove the tail cone bottom skin to get to it.
I have taken photos of how I fit in my taildragger Legacy model and my B-Model and sent them to Kerry.
I’ll try and post those three photos here as well. Of course the one with the stick between my legs is #173 which I still have and the other two are the B-Model, one withe seat back in and one with it out.
I got my biannual done today so hopefully I can fly it this week.
Thanks
LeroyImageImageImage

Lbrandt

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:26 am

Sonex Friends,

We have asked Leroy for more photos of his seat back installation which we are confident he will supply. At this time we are still fact-finding and until we know all of the facts we do not know that there is a problem other than a builder modification impacting personal comfort.

Leroy's airframes have both been modified with under-panel switch extensions. Of course, modifications to the product we designed, detailed in the plans, and delivered in kit form will impact an individual airframe's fit, finish, and performance. Plus there is the individual definition of subjective terms like "tight," "cramped," "small," "room," etc. Also, the B-Model panel is much larger than the Legacy panel and can accommodate more switches and avionics for those who like to really equip their cockpits. This can render unnecessary builder-designed/installed subpanels that some builders have added to their aircraft.

We would like to point out again that the B-Model airframe has been available for customers to try on for at least two years, at Sun and Fun, at AirVenture, and at our factory here in Oshkosh, WI. To date, the vast majority (I have no knowledge of anyone that didn't find it roomier but I'm leaving that possibility open) of those that have sat in the un-modified B-Model cockpit have found it to be roomier than the Legacy model. We do not yet know if Leroy tried on our prototype on one of his many visits to our factory.

We feel it is important to participate in this thread though we prefer to communicate personally and privately with our builders. If you are following this thread but have not read my recent Kitplanes article "Misplaced Confidence," I encourage you to do so.
https://www.thelifeofdanger.com/all-sto ... confidence

Blue Skies....

Kerry Fores
tech@sonexaircraft.com

Sonex Aircraft, LLC
http://www.sonexaircraft.com
SonexFactoryTech

Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby Lbrandt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:47 am

Hi All
I did not try on the B-Model. It’s wider so why would I end up with less room.
Kerry, you’re assuming that everyone wants a center stick. I did not but had no choice in the matter.
The first photo of the B-Model shows my knee almost hitting the sub panel that’s with the seat back cushion in. The next photo is with it removed. I do have a little more room but my right leg is uncomfortably straight and not spread out like it’d like it because the darn stick is in the way.
Of course Sonex can do no wrong.
I have 35k more dollars in this airplane and I’m not comfortable like I was in the Legacy.
DO NOT MAKE ME OUT TO BE THE PROBLEM HERE!
Leroy
More photos are coming

Lbrandt

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm

Lbrandt wrote:Hi All
I did not try on the B-Model. It’s wider so why would I end up with less room.
Kerry, you’re assuming that everyone wants a center stick. I did not but had no choice in the matter.
The first photo of the B-Model shows my knee almost hitting the sub panel that’s with the seat back cushion in. The next photo is with it removed. I do have a little more room but my right leg is uncomfortably straight and not spread out like it’d like it because the darn stick is in the way.
Of course Sonex can do no wrong.
I have 35k more dollars in this airplane and I’m not comfortable like I was in the Legacy.
DO NOT MAKE ME OUT TO BE THE PROBLEM HERE!
Leroy

All,

We are happy to see Leroy has flown his B-Model Sonex and has reported that first flight elsewhere on this list. In reporting his first flight to us he stated, "I didn’t notice a big problem yesterday so it’ll probably be okay for me in the future as well." This was in regard to his stick/leg room, the crux of this entire thread.

Our recommendation to Leroy to increase his leg room was to remove his switch sub-panel and lengthen his joystick. That would move his hand and the bulk of the grip above his leg and provide more legroom. That would also match our factory prototypes. We are happy to hear that Leroy feels that will not be necessary now that he has completed his first flight.

Sonex Aircraft designs products that target individuals who like to tinker and customize. We strive to make right on the things we mess up but we cannot accept responsibility for individual customizations and we cannot remain silent when individual customizations to our product may negatively impact other's perceptions of what we are offering.

Blue Skies....

Kerry Fores
Sonex Airraft LLC
SonexFactoryTech

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B