Xenos B for tall pilot?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby CloudbaseEng » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Hello All,

I have sat in a few A model Sonex Aircraft overt the years and also in Pete Buck's Xenos in Tehachapi CA and as much as I love the Xenos, I just did not fit. Now with the B mods, it has me rethinking the Xenos again. I am 6'3" and 225lbs. My issue was more width than anything as my dad is also a similar size and it would be nice to fly with him. I am an ex Sailplane and Hanglider pilot who also considered a Moni, but that is another tight fit for me and its 2 stroke. Anyone know how the B versions fit larger pilots?

Best regards,

Marc Webster
Cloudbase Engineeirng LLC
www.cloudbaseengineering.com
CloudbaseEng

Re: Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby drPete » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:47 am

Marc,

I have a Xenos B fuselage without seat pan but with the canopy installed. Stop by in a few months on your next trip through WV selling those really nice looking camera mounts and sit in it!

I too was a Moni fan, an still have the Moni study plans that I purchased in 1984. There is a Moni hanging in the Smithsonian out by KIAD.

Regards,

Pete
Pete
Xenos-B s/n XNB0010
xenos.n25xb@gmail.com

drPete

Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby Lbrandt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 pm

I recently completed my Sonex B conversion.
I have been doing some engine running and testing over the last couple weeks.
I am very disappointed in how much leg room there is in the B model.
The seat attach points have been changed. I suppose now it resembles the seat position for the lowered seat modification.
I’m tall, 6’ plus a fraction and I have to leave the back cushion out in order to have room for my knees under the panel.
Previously with the dual stick I could spread my knees and have plenty of room. BUT with the new Center stick I am not able to comfortably move the stick for left aileron. I never had this problem in the Legacy model.
The back of the seat previously attached to the rear spar carry through. Now it is forward of the rear spar carry through shortening the distance from the rudder peddles to the bottom back corner of the seat back. It shortened the distance by over an inch.
It’s wider. Harder to build and has less leg room.
Anyone want to buy a B model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lbrandt

Postby thomas » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Leroy,

I've been off the forum for a while and first post I see is yours. As an B-model builder whose also over 6' tall, I'm really sorry to hear your impressions after all the work you have put into this conversion. I sat in the demo B-model Waiex and it seemed ok, but I've not sat in a legacy Sonex for comparison. You've been a pioneer in this, so there are many of us who would like to know more about your experience and how your UL Power conversion turned out.

Thanks!
Paul
thomas

Xenos B for tall pilot?

Postby Lbrandt » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 pm

Paul
I hope to be able to fly in a week or so if we get a semi warm day in Wisconsin plus I need a fresh biannual, mine ran out Oct 31 or I would have flown it already.
I’m looking forward to seeing what the numbers are with the UL260IS. It seems strong on a few high speed runs with lots of forward stick. It’s going to be much better than my AeroVee. I’ve got 25 Hours in phase 1 and probably 3-4 hours trying to get off the ground. Once I was in the air it was a blast but getting there on turf was hard.
I’m just disappointed because the seat back is farther forward than on the Legacy version.
I’m planning on installing the seat back bottom hinge on the rear spar carry through like the Legacy was done. It’ll help my situation.
I’m also considering an offset control stick. I used a straight stick rather than the y. I knew early on that the y would not work for me.
Does anyone actually post here? It doesn’t appear that too many post here.
I rarely post but this problem really angers me. And they appear to be oblivious to my problem.
Thanks
Leroy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lbrandt

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:47 am

Leroy,
Thanks for the posts. Have you been in contact w sonex and shared your concerns? Has any other b models flown? Maybe yours will be the first customer one to fly. Maybe sonex needs to take a look at your suggestion to move the bottom hinge seat back position to the rear spar carry thru for taller pilots.
Let us know how it goes. Did you do a rebuild /conversion? Or a totally new aircraft? Also yes tell us when you have first flight and UL power engine impression.
I expect to see more posts on the b model, builds and flying talk. Remember its still kinda new.
Also is dual stick still an option for the b models? I 'll look at the sonex web site. Maybe thats another thing for sonex to look into.
Added: just looked at sonex website, looks like just a center straight stick , or center y stick. Maybe a true dual stick sonex could design / offer.
Be safe,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby thomas » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:29 am

Thank you, Leroy. I remember you posting that yours is a conversion from a legacy model. As Michael mentioned, you may be the first customer B-model flying. Maybe there're others flying but I agree it's been relatively quiet from the B-model community. For me, I lost this last year of building because I had to relocate my shop right after I purchased my B-model kit. I think your experience with both legacy and B-model is great for this community. You might be surprised by how much discussion there will be if you start a new thread called something like "Sonex-B flying."

Thanks,
Paul
thomas

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:35 am

Leroy,

Please send me photos of your seat back installation. (tech@sonexaircraft.com)

Did you try on our factory Waiex-B during any of your visits to our Oshkosh factory? If so, did that fit you? If that fit you then your conversion should as well as they would be identical.

We produce a standard product and each individual needs to decide if that product meets their needs. We cannot customize each airframe and building experience to meet the individual needs of each builder. We hope you took the time on one of your visits our factory or to AirVenture to sit in our factory B-Model prototype prior to committing to rebuilding your legacy airframe as a B-Model.

Please respond directly to the tech support email address: tech@sonexaircraft.com

Blue Skies....

Kerry

Sonex Aircraft
SonexFactoryTech

Postby DCASonex » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:53 am

Have not had chance to closely examine a B model, but from photos wonder if the back of the seat base is kept forward to clear the new electric flap drive? With top of seat back now recessed, it does sound like the new design would be good for someone of my build, long torso, short legs, but not as good for someone with opposite proportions. The new flap drive looks like a very good solid design, but if it does limit seat back location, might it be practical to modify the flap operator or even make a hybrid by adding electric operator to the old style flap operator as I and several others have done so as to be able to push back the base of the seat?
David A. Sonex TD, standard seat, center stick.
DCASonex

Postby SonexFactoryTech » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Before the long weekend settles on us I'm posting two photos of the under-panel leg room available in a B-Model airframe compared to a Legacy airframe.

For reference, I am 6'-0" tall with an inseam of 34". In other words, I have long legs.

The Legacy Sonex photo is of Sonex serial number 1, with a standard (non-lowered) seat. The B-Model photo is the Waiex-B prototype that has been available for at least 2 years for customers to try on. I found it somewhat easier to slip my legs under the B-Model panel than the Legacy Sonex panel. I had a minimum of 5" of space between my legs and the bottom of the panel in both airframes.

Adding under-panel switch panels and such will reduce the amount of leg room under the panel.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/images/Leg ... -Model.jpg
http://www.sonexaircraft.com/images/Leg_Room-Legacy.jpg

Blue Skies....

Kerry Fores
Sonex Aircraft
SonexFactoryTech

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B