Sun N Fun 2016 Waiex B Pics

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Sun N Fun 2016 Waiex B Pics

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:46 pm

Greetings,

I was able to visit Sun N Fun today and spent some time looking over the new Waiex B prototype. First, I have to say this airplane is beautiful! He factory has done an outstanding job on the fit and finish of the airplane and it was attracting a lot of attention today. The traditionally "difficult" areas, such as the cowling and canopy, are perfect! The firewall forward area, including baffles, wiring, etc. are all extremely well done. The airplane hasn't flown yet but is ready; in fact, after talking with Joe Norris, he said the paperwork has been submitted and the airworthiness inspection will happen shortly after the team returns to Oshkosh.

I will attach a bunch of pictures to the post: Photobucket doesn't offer the highest resolution but hopefully everyone will get the idea.

Thanks everyone!

Turbo AeroVee with factory recommended Sensenich cruise prop

Beautiful panel of MGL goodies! Electric flap switch on the left, and heated seat selector on the right!

Left side throttle and brake handle

New seat geometry to offer more headroom and shoulder room. Also note the pre made canopy frame.

The new cowling looks beautiful! The looks of the airplane really are improved.

This will look familiar to any turbo AeroVee person. Note the lack of a cooling exit on the bottom

Cowling exit areas are side scoops

The engine mounts will install with new mounting point locations in each corner. No more trimming those bottom supports!

Congratulations to the factory for a beautiful airplane!! I can't wait to see it fly!!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Re: Sun N Fun 2016 Waiex B Pics

Postby fastj22 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 pm

Did Sonex fly the B to the show or trailer it? Not that it really makes a difference.
Do like the looks. Many of the "enhancements" we have asked for.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby ldmill » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:52 pm

The number of changes is very impressive. I see elements of many of our suggestions and modifications over the years - congrats to Sonex for taking this to heart!! I gotta admit - I'm rather tempted to build another one!

Lorin Miller
N81yx
ldmill

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:59 pm

fastj22 wrote:Did Sonex fly the B to the show or trailer it?

They trailed both the B model and the gray SubSonex. The Waiex is ready for inspection but has not yet received the Airworthiness Certificate. First flight should happen soon.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:01 pm

ldmill wrote:The number of changes is very impressive. I see elements of many of our suggestions and modifications over the years - congrats to Sonex for taking this to heart!! I gotta admit - I'm rather tempted to build another one!

Lorin Miller
N81yx

You're right Lorin! I agree. They are even adding a second "notch" to the canopy lock slide for a taxi position. It looks great!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby ihab » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:02 pm

Thank you so much for the pictures!

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Beautiful panel of MGL goodies! Electric flap switch on the left, and heated seat selector on the right!

Wow, "real airplane" ;) panel space!

MichaelFarley56 wrote:The new cowling looks beautiful! The looks of the airplane really are improved.

It looks like there's lots of room in the engine compartment too, now, with lots of easy maintenance-friendly access.

MichaelFarley56 wrote:The engine mounts will install with new mounting point locations in each corner.

I also like the way the engine mount is now more "aircraft standard" with standard bolts. Looks just like a Cessna; will not scare your A&P.

Wow, what a super nice airplane...!

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby John Usher » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Thanks Michael for posting the pics! I see they used a single stick instead of the Y stick as was first advertised. I like the single stick better. Did they tell you the reason for the side cowling exits?
John Usher
Sold all my toys...
John Usher

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 pm

John Usher wrote:Did they tell you the reason for the side cowling exits?

Im not quite sure why they've decided to switch to the side exits. It will be a neat test to see how effective they are!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby mike20sm » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:53 pm

My guess is better cooling during climbs?
Standard Sonex kit #1692
preparing workshop for arrival
http://websites.expercraft.com/mike20sm
mike20sm

Postby DCASonex » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:26 am

Just curious, but did anyone happen to note what sort of electric flap operator Sonex is using in the new B model and how it was installed ?

David A.
DCASonex

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B