Sonex VS Waiex!

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Sonex VS Waiex!

Postby Flynic3 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Good Afternoon,

I am curious what your thoughts are on what would be the best choice for my build project. I fell in love with the Waiex the first time I saw it and would love to go with one for my build project. That being said, I have read about some inherent issues with the V tail design. I would prefer to go with the best option for a safe and stable aircraft over just looks. I would love to go with the Waiex based on looks alone however if the V tail is going to cause stability issues than I will start to second guess that choice. It is hard not to want the Waiex due to its tarmac appeal and feel it is just a gorgeous looking aircraft. I am just wondering why there are not more of them being built compared with the Sonex! I am quite torn on the subject and wanted your advice! Are the Waiex V tail issues that profound that it would be a better choice going with the Sonex? I have heard that they tend to drift or float during cruise... I also know that the V-Tail of the Waiex is heavier which can cause slight stability issues if you have an aft CG loading. I do plan on going with either the AeroVee turbo or 4 Gen Jabiru 3300, so I am hoping the heavier weight of these aircraft engines will resolve this aspect of things. Could you provide any other insight or wisdom on the differences between the two aircraft? I would love to hear your opinion on this subject and look forward to learning more about the Sonex and Waiex in the process...
Thank you in advance for your Opinion and Thoughts on this topic!

~Nic
Flynic3

Re: Sonex VS Waiex!

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm

The question is simple: are you cool enough for a Waiex? Regarding Beechcraft lore, it is not a Beechcraft.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Flynic3 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:The question is simple: are you cool enough for a Waiex? Regarding Beechcraft lore, it is not a Beechcraft.

I think I could handle the cool factor of the Waiex... lol! Everything from Sonex says there is no difference however I remember reading a few things about differences in the stability of the Sonex and Waiex. It may have been on a different forum however I was curious, and figured I would ask. I am just trying to finalize the plans of my build project. I would prefer the Waiex but just wanted to make sure that will be the best choice. I am not trying to compare the Waiex and Bonanza, but based on how I asked about the V-Tail design.. I can see why you would think that. I am more curious about the stability differences between the Sonex and Waiex. I just don’t want to choose a Waiex based on looks and then come to regret the decision. I don’t see why more of them have not been built compared with the Sonex. I greatly appreciate the feedback Bryan, and I am hoping the differences I read about were just an online exegeration. I am looking forward to getting started on this build project and wanted to iron out the final details. I figured I might as well ask as many questions as I can before throwing down my money on a kit. Since I plan on purchasing the tail kit first, I figured it would be a good idea to figure out exactly what tail design I wanted first. Thanks again for the feedback and I look forward to all of your opinions and insight.

Cheers!

Nic
Flynic3

Postby sonex1374 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:39 pm

You'll hear this comment repeatedly from Waiex pilots (or Sonex pilots that have time in a Waiex): "The Waiex flies exactly like a Sonex." Whatever sins haunt other V-tail designs, they're absent in this design.

Having said that, John Monnett has a thing for V tail designs. However, when he was preparing to introduce the Sonex family of airplanes to the market, he decided to lead off with the conventional tail design. I think he felt that a conventional configuration would be better received. Delaying the Waiex several years undoubtedly slowed the pace of Waiex builds, but it was probably the smart business decision. Just look at how many times he's had to answer the question of whether the Waiex wiggles like a Bonanza!

I've flow them both, and I'll leave you with my impressions. The Waiex flies just like a Sonex. Build the one that appeals to you in a totally frivolous and irrational way... you can't go wrong with either choice!

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Jeff has pretty much nailed it here. They fly almost identically. I've flown both and in cruise you can hardly tell any difference at all.

Remember, the fuselage itself has square sides with a rounded top and while I can't tell you for sure, it seems the fuselage itself does seem to lead towards directional stability. Whatever the reason, there is no "tail waggle" some people claim that V35 Bonanza's have. The airplane tracks very straight without any issues. Take a look at all the Youtube videos of Waiex's flying around and you won't see any "waggle" at all!

It does seem that Waiex's tend to have slightly higher empty weights, possibly due to to the extra steel mixer assembly in the tailcone. When mine first flew it had an empty weight of 644 lbs, so you can build either model light! And yes you may have a slight aft c.g. issue if you use a Jabiru 2200 but the same applies if you're in a Sonex. If you're going to use an AeroVee or Jabiru 3300, you won't have any issues.

In the interest of full disclosure, some Waiex pilots will say that crosswind capability is a little less as compared to the straight tail Sonex (remember, you're landing at 40 mph so having a bigger rudder on a Sonex may help), but that's a matter of opinion.

I will second Jeff's opinion; you can't go wrong either way! They're both overbuilt, great airplanes that are a blast to fly!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby kmacht » Tue May 22, 2018 10:10 pm

One other thing to consider is that the sonex plans (or at least they used to) contain all the details and measurements to scratch build every part. The waiex was designed as a kit from day 1 so it only has the dimensions needed to assemble the kit. You can't scratch build a waiex or any replacement parts.

Keith
kmacht

Postby builderflyer » Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 am

If my memory is correct, the Sonex was first designed with a conventional tail to satisfy an Italian client. Had that not been the case, the first Sonex may very well have been a "Waiex", given John's liking to the Y tail appearance.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby jforster » Wed May 23, 2018 10:38 am

Neither the Sonex-B or Waiex-B can be scratch-built, the plans are not set up that way. If you are interested in scratch building, the original legacy Sonex plans can still be purchased for that purpose.
J. Bower
Sonex #1563, Standard Gear, Engine TBD
Oshkosh, WI
jforster

Sonex VS Waiex!

Postby caveman370 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:48 am

I agree with Mike. I have the conventional tail, but have flown John Gillis’s wayex also.
I think his is faster ( maybe the speed cowl)
Handling is identical to me

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman370

Postby N190YX » Wed May 23, 2018 11:53 am

The straight tail versus the Vee tail actually is more of a personal choice, like Ford versus Chevy. I have owned a straight tail Bonanza (Debonair) for 38 years and I can't tell any difference in handling characteristics when flying buddy's Vee tail Bonanzas. But we should not compare the Bonanza tail configuration differences (or not) with the Sonex/Waiex because the Bonanza's Vee tail has less tail surface, essentially the same tail surface size as only two of the straight tail version's three tail surfaces, while the Waiex's two tail surfaces are larger than each of the three individual tail surfaces of the Sonex. Which should provide essentially the same elevator and rudder authority. Another consideration when deciding between building a Sonex or a Waiex is the slightly higher cost of the Waiex. I went with the Waiex because I think the Vee tail is really cool! And having Vee tail envy owning a straight tail Bonanza (Debonair). (I'm building the Waiex because I want to build (a really cool airplane), not because I need another airplane!)
N190YX

Next

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B