Dynon Pitot Mount (AN5812) Reinforcement

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Dynon Pitot Mount (AN5812) Reinforcement

Postby Badger830 » Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:31 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,
I'm looking for some examples of how people have gone about installing a standard AN5812 pitot mount in their wing. I plan on installing a heated Dynon system with AOA and trying to figure out a good solution on how to reinforce the mount in the skin. Here is a link to the mount I've purchased: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... -06246.php. I plan to put the mount in approximately the same place as indicated in the plans. Thanks in advance!
Badger830

Re: Dynon Pitot Mount (AN5812) Reinforcement

Postby lakespookie » Tue Aug 13, 2024 7:57 pm

I went with the Garmin Kit mount take a look at my builder page https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7Wc0KY8D6&cat=avionics&listcat=&sid=

Do not use the default mounting location onto the access panel like i did at first you will have to center it.

The alternative is to make a cut out use the overlap of that mount so you dont need to do the doubler plate like i had to to strengthen the inspection panel. feel free to ask questions all the posts are under avionivcs.
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby Badger830 » Tue Aug 13, 2024 9:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, Lakespookie.

I ended up making a doubler plate to go between the skin and the pitot mount and riveted the doubler to the skin and the #5 rib. I moved the inspection plate in one bay so I can service the heater controller if needed. Although I have yet to test the setup, it should work.

Badger830

Postby lakespookie » Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:59 pm

That makes sense i kept it all in one location since everything is in the same bay for me i was originally going to go with that mount and actually have one in a box somewhere but went with the garmin solution because it has a 2 position set screw that i can use to adjust the angle if its not in parameters fairly easily and it was not to expensive plus i didnt have to drill the curved surface for the mounting screws.

But i have a garmin your solution should be more than ample for what you need. Granted cant see pics at work to see the results but based on how you explained it, it makes sense
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B