Rotax cooling system!

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Rotax cooling system!

Postby dboeshaar » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:47 pm

I'm excited about the factory announcement for the new cooling system for Rotax equipped Sonex kits!
I'm a builder and not a designer. I feel the Rotax is the best choice for my mission and I now have a great deal of confidence that I'll get safely into the air.

How many others here are planning on a Rotax engine?

I have not yet purchased the engine but I'm planning on a 912 ULS

Dkb
==============================================================
David Boeshaar
KWHP
TDAIRCRAFT.COM
My Greatest Fear: What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
==============================================================
dboeshaar

Re: Rotax cooling system!

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:58 pm

I guess I missed the big announcement. Last I heard they weren't even flying the only 912 prototype. I do think they'd be well served by making the 912 a more supported option though.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (145 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Rotax cooling system!

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:19 am

My Sonex Legacy/Rotax 912ULS had its first flight 18 months ago.
High coolant temps on ground , high oil temps in air. Tried everything I could think of - lots of extra cowling hole/scoops and ducting (not all at once)- all helped a little but not enough.

Took aircraft out of the air for 4 months for cooling system revamp.

All good now, thanks to conventional forward position for coolant radiator and Rotax Extra Large Oil Cooler now in engine bay exit air stream

Winter here in Eastern Australia; In Cruise - Coolant (with some blocking strips) 89C, Oil 96C - not perfect but will do me.

Note: As far as I can tell from the Sonex press release the new cooling system is addressing Coolant Radiator only - don't forget you have to cool the all important life blood/oil.
Skippydiesel

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B