B-Model conversion

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a second generation Sonex or Waiex.

Re: B-Model conversion

Postby fastj22 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:38 pm

NWade wrote:
fastj22 wrote:Soaring season is coming to an end but we are getting some gold metal days lately. Here's a clip from today's trip into Tiger Country. We rarely dropped below 16,000ft and did 600km in 5.5 hours. This was a Duo Discus with a national champion coaching me from the back seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e987La_3w8

Nice flight! Who was it in the back seat? I’m a competition Soaring pilot and as you know, it’s a small community.

I’m distracted right now myself between finishing my Sonex and buying a DuoDiscus so that I can do more XC mentorship - it’s something the sport badly needs more of!

Can’t wait to see both the B model and some more long glider flights. :-)

—Noel
Sonex #1339
ASG-29

Bif (Marvin) Huss who sold his discus 2b for the duo in prep for his new 18 meter competition plane being built. He plans to use the duo to train saps like me how to race.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby dbdevkc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:10 am

Hank Nixon (former nat champ) does the same thing here in NYS - mentors and teaches sailplane racing to junior members and other interested parties by using his ASK-21 in the "bus class" in local competitions.
[color=#800000]Kevin Conklin
Building Waiex #169
dbdevkc

Postby fastj22 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:17 pm

Running out of stuff to do.
Seat pan is riveted in. Boy that was a nervous moment. The B model has a riveted seat pan. You better dang well make sure you have everything perfect and access holes cut in the right places before doing this. Good thing is its rock solid, unlike the piano hinged seat on the A model. Jury is out on if this actually an improvement.

Panel riveted in. Wiring is nicely sheathed. Electronic smoke test successful. Had some issues with the flap travel, but I think I've got it close enough.
Started the engine this afternoon after almost 10 months of being mothballed. Came alive and produced heat in all cylinders. Only idled as I was in the hangar.

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm

fastj22 wrote:Canopy, windshield, glare shield and fuel tank installed!!!
I left some DNA getting the tank straps set. Boy was that fun! NOT!
Here's a video....
https://youtu.be/Hl7QHtRtKzY

Hi...
I am ready to install my B model glare shield but the plans do not show any dimensions or measurements, ie where along the longeron, X inches from y, is the end of the shield or instrument panel suppose to end up...it seems that the glare shield is just pushed up to the firewall and drilled. Is that the case? On the firewall end the plans say to trim, on the panel side no spot or measurement called out. I'm gonna climb in upside down to drill and I want to get it right.

thanks,

peter
SNB0021
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby dirkverdonck » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi,
About the tank straps, I replaced them right away with homemade SS straps that join in the middle, so easy to install!
And about the glareshield, I added an inspection panel to get easy access to the back of the instruments for inspection, replacement or repair.

Dirk
Waiex-B 036
Attachments
glareshieldJPG.JPG
glareshieldJPG.JPG (60.48 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
tank straps.JPG
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby fastj22 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 pm

The Super Bee flies!

Did two sorties today. First one brought me back to the runway after a loop around the dog patch due to an uncomfortable climb rate. Traced it down to a loose ignition on one of the 12 ignition cables at the distributor.
Second sortie was good. Took the plane up to 10k ASL and orbited the field for an hour. Got some trim issues, the MGL radio kept going Tango Uniform, lots of ventilation from the canopy bow. CHTs were very low. The side cowl exits are more than enough. But Oil temp was too high. Need to create more flow me thinks. MGL AHRS was all over the place as was the compass. I mounted these under the seat pan. Not sure this is the issue. But I'm back in phase 1 to figure it all out. The new Trig 22 xponder came alive but couldn't receive ADS-B position from the TN-72 GPS. So I have that too. This is experimental aviation right?

John Gillis
fastj22

Postby Sonex1517 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:54 pm

Awesome John! Way to go. Congratulations!!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
375+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Previous

Return to Sonex-B / Waiex-B